Tools Menu Error in SONAR

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Susan G

Tools Menu Error in SONAR

Post by Susan G »

Hi-

I added Har-Bal to the SONAR Tools menu, but when I select an audio clip and select Har-Bal from the SONAR Tools menu, the wave loads and then I get the following SONAR error:
"Cannot create process".

I have the latest Har-Bal version, including the updated lib file. I've verified that the reg entry is correct and tried re-installing. SONAR SE 4.01.

Can anyone help, please?

TIA! :)

-Susan
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

Susan,

I noticed the same problem with Sonar and 1.51 but haven't had a chance to investigate the issue yet, and I've since gone back to 1.50 for other reasons (see the "1.51 can't play" post). Unfortunately 1.50 doesn't support the command line parameters that makes editing a clip from the Tools menu possible.

I suspect it might be the setting in Sonar for "Share drivers with other programs" under the Audio options. I'm set to WDM in Sonar and MultiMedia in HB. But who knows.... I routinely open clips in Sound Forge from the Sonar tools menu with no problems. It could be that Sonar is passing a parameter that HB doesn't expect (as it only takes the file name).

Mike
Susan G

Post by Susan G »

Hi Mike-

I don't have a problem with Cool Edit either. I have Share drivers checked. I'm using WDM in SONAR and the Multimedia option in HB. I'll try ASIO in both next chance, although I don't like that much in SONAR.

I had the impression this was working now, but maybe not? Anyone?

Thanks-

-Susan
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Susan,

Can you clarify something for me? When you set up HarBal as a tool under Sonar and run it does HarBal actually run up and open the file? I wasn't sure from your description as to whether it did or not. I suspect this is something I may not be able to fix for you, at least not in the short term. Sonar may be objecting to the Armadillo shell around HarBal though I'm not sure. I don't have Sonar myself but I'll have a go at reproducing the problem with other software.

Regards,

Paavo.
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

If somebody will remind me how to set Har-Bal up as a tool in Sonar (I did it in v3, but forgot how to since upgrading to V4) I will test it out for ya...
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

Paavo,

Yes, HB does indeed open and start to analyze the clip (which is just a .wav file). Then it crashes with the error.

db, try something like this. You can paste this into a .reg file and run it. You may have to change some paths accordingly :

REGEDIT32
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Tools Menu\Har-Bal]
"ExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Har-Bal\\Har-Bal.exe"
"HelpFilePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Har-Bal\\Har-Bal.hlp"
"MenuText"="Har-Bal"
"StatusBarText"="Edit the selected audio event using Har-Bal"
"Type"="WaveEditor"

Mike
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

Beautiful, thanks.
Susan G

Post by Susan G »

Paavo-

The SONAR status bar indicates it's loading a copy of the .wav. When that's complete I get the SONAR error. I never see the Har-Bal window.

Mike and Dan- That's what I have in my registry. A SONAR user came back and said it's not working for him either.

So apparently SONAR has something against Armadillos! :wink: :(

Thanks-

-Susan
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Susan,

I just looked at your registery settings for Sonar and noticed that you've spelt the filename incorrectly. You had,

"ExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Har-Bal\\Har-Bal.exe"
"HelpFilePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Har-Bal\\Har-Bal.hlp"

but the file name has no minus sign in it. I suspect you should have something like,

"ExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\HarBal\\HarBal.exe"
"HelpFilePath"="C:\\Program Files\\HarBal\\HarBal.hlp"

But that will depend on what folder you installed HarBal in. It always pays to check with a command prompt or Explorer that your paths are valid. I think this may explain why it isn't working for you.

Regards,

Paavo.
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

OK, I reinstalled 1.51 and downloaded the updated libsndfile.dll

Now when I open HB from the Sonar tools menu, HB successfully analyzes the file but no graph is displayed. It's as if it analyzes the file but then doesn't open it for editing. Iit seems to be analyzing the file in batch mode (ie: the white window - not the usual progress bar dialog).

Drag and Drop and opening a file from a command prompt work fine. The file is analyzed with the usual progress bar dialog, then the graph is displayed.

So, for some reason HB thinks it's in batch analyze mode when running from Sonar.

Mike

note: so far the play button and slider seem to be working with this new dll.

note: my regsitry settings above are indeed incorrect. There should be no "-" in the file names.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Is there any way you can tell what sonar is passing to the command line? I can think of a way of doing it via a batch file but I didn't want to complicate things too much. Anyway, If you attempt to open more than one wav file at a time HarBal will do a batch analysis instead of loading it. It will only load the file if you pass one and only one file in the command line. My guess is Sonar is passing more than one parameter on the command line.

Paavo.
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

Paavo,

I'll try to find out what Sonar does. You're probably right about the number of parameters. However, I've found a good alternative : I can highlight a clip in Sonar and drag it directly into HB and it works great that way. Thanks for supporting drag & drop, as it has really helped my workflow.

Mike
Susan G

Post by Susan G »

Hi Paavo-
Susan,

I just looked at your registery settings for Sonar and noticed that you've spelt the filename incorrectly.
I didn't post my registry entry :wink:. I did say "that's what I have" to what was posted, but I lied -- I meant the basic template, not the literal text. I checked several times to make sure the paths/filenames were correct.

At any rate, it doesn't really matter as long as the drag & drop works. I haven't tried it yet, but that'd be fine! :D

Thanks-

-Susan
mlavin00

Post by mlavin00 »

Hey,
I just got HarBal and I think it's awesome, but I'm having the same issues as Susan. I have HarBal set up via the tools menu in Sonar 4.1. I click on the wav file and then activate the HarBal program from the tools menu. The program opens up, analyzes the wav file, then nothing. No graph, nada. Can you help me fix this?
Thanks,
Mitch
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

How 'bout using drag and drop? I recall hearing that Susan was able to do this satisfactorily.

Regards,

Paavo.