Audio Glitches

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
LoTekRoolz

Audio Glitches

Post by LoTekRoolz »

Hi folks. I am using wavelab 4 in my setup as an editor. I frequently check my audio info for glitches and the like. After repeated analyses reporting glitches I decided to do a test before buying a new sound card. I took one of my FAV audio files, copied it, inverted it and mixed it. To my suprise the resulting delta file had zero artifacts. My question: Which is correct? The conflicting results both come from the same program. Please help.

LoTek.
"Walk softly in the presence of cheetahs...you are tasty with hot sauce."
LoTekRoolz

Sorry

Post by LoTekRoolz »

Hi again. I know that question is off topic, but you guys are geniouses and I thought, well what the H-, ask anyway!

thanks, LoTek
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Audio Glitches

Post by har-bal »

LoTekRoolz wrote:Hi folks. I am using wavelab 4 in my setup as an editor. I frequently check my audio info for glitches and the like. After repeated analyses reporting glitches I decided to do a test before buying a new sound card. I took one of my FAV audio files, copied it, inverted it and mixed it. To my suprise the resulting delta file had zero artifacts. My question: Which is correct? The conflicting results both come from the same program. Please help.

LoTek.
First of all below is a great article from Sound on Sound regarding this issue
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul03/a ... an0703.asp

They are the real geniuses :)

If you are receiving glitches after CD extraction in Wavelab try this.
Go to Tools/Import CD Tracks//Options//Use Ultra Safe mode (slow)
Now try and extract audio from a cd.

Now let us know what happens. Sometimes these glitches occur when Wavelab is pulling the audio data from the drive faster than it can release it.

Question: Are the glitches coming from audio files you already had in your machine or from CD's where you are extracting the data?

Earle
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Audio Glitches

Post by har-bal »

har-bal wrote:
LoTekRoolz wrote:Hi folks. I am using wavelab 4 in my setup as an editor. I frequently check my audio info for glitches and the like. After repeated analyses reporting glitches I decided to do a test before buying a new sound card. I took one of my FAV audio files, copied it, inverted it and mixed it. To my suprise the resulting delta file had zero artifacts. My question: Which is correct? The conflicting results both come from the same program. Please help.

LoTek.
First of all below is a great article from Sound on Sound regarding this issue
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul03/a ... an0703.asp

They are the real geniuses :)

If you are receiving glitches after CD extraction in Wavelab try this.
Go to Tools/Import CD Tracks//Options//Use Ultra Safe mode (slow)
Now try and extract audio from a cd.

Now let us know what happens. Sometimes these glitches occur when Wavelab is pulling the audio data from the drive faster than it can release it.

Question: Are the glitches coming from audio files you already had in your machine or from CD's where you are extracting the data?

Earle
Another place to check would be the actual Wavelab forum.
http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewforu ... 08e9b0eefe

They are very good over there as well :)

Earle
LoTekRoolz

Thanks

Post by LoTekRoolz »

Thanks for the tips. I will check the articles out. I'm mostly checking the audio I generate on my drive when writing. I hadn't noticed any obvious glitching on my extractions but will check them too.

cheers,
LoTek
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Thanks

Post by har-bal »

LoTekRoolz wrote:Thanks for the tips. I will check the articles out. I'm mostly checking the audio I generate on my drive when writing. I hadn't noticed any obvious glitching on my extractions but will check them too.

cheers,
LoTek
Sounds like you may be having an issue with your buffer settings.
Start there first. Information is in the article as well

Earle