Idea for Har-Bal marketing team

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
mgc3003.com

Idea for Har-Bal marketing team

Post by mgc3003.com »

Har-Bal would be an EXCELLENT addition to the curriculum at audio engineering schools. I didn't explain it particularly well, but my work in Har-Bal taught me a LOT about sound...

You know how in learning, typically you'll reach a point where you "plateau" for a while... and then you eventually have a breakthrough that sends you up to the next level of understanding? Using Har-Bal pushed me up out of that plateau...

The Har-Bal marketing team might consider pushing schools to carry and teach Har-Bal. You'd probably have to offer an educational version at a slight discount (sold at special stores which require proof of student certification)...

But it seems like the added exposure in school would result in more commercial purchases.

This is just one avenue of promotion that the Har-Bal team might not have thought of yet, so I thought I'd suggest it. =)
mgc3003.com

Post by mgc3003.com »

Okay I've officially posted enough in one day to come across as a genuine internet weirdo!

But I wanted to share one more thing that I learned that the Har-Bal marketing team *might* be able to use, to further combat any resistance to the paradigm shift of using your ears AND *eyes* in mastering EQ...

In my study of NLP, I learned that people tend to have a primary sensory orientation. Most people in our culture are either visually(eyes) oriented, auditorily(ears) oriented, or kinesthetically("feelings") oriented. There are simple tests you can take to realize your primary orientation... But what's interesting is how our culture breaks down on average:

5-10% of people are kinesthetically oriented.
10-15% of people are auditorally oriented.
a whopping 70% or so of people are visually oriented

This is one reason why so many people have the "OH MY GOD!" reaction when they use Har-Bal!

Anyway, I thought the knowledge that studies have shown that 70% of people in the western world are visually oriented could be useful to the Har-Bal team. It could be a useful stat to quote. =)

Also, just because someone is an "audio guy" doesn't mean that is their primary sensory orientation. Myself, for example. In all the NLP tests, and certain clues in the way I tend to speak --- all point to the fact that I'm visually oriented. Kinesthetic comes up second in the order of my primary senses, and auditorilly is *third*, followed by gustatory/olfactory (taste/smell.) I NEVER would have guessed this... but considering the way Har-Bal helped me, it certainly makes sense.
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

mgc3003.com wrote:Okay I've officially posted enough in one day to come across as a genuine internet weirdo!

But I wanted to share one more thing that I learned that the Har-Bal marketing team *might* be able to use, to further combat any resistance to the paradigm shift of using your ears AND *eyes* in mastering EQ...

In my study of NLP, I learned that people tend to have a primary sensory orientation. Most people in our culture are either visually(eyes) oriented, auditorily(ears) oriented, or kinesthetically("feelings") oriented. There are simple tests you can take to realize your primary orientation... But what's interesting is how our culture breaks down on average:

5-10% of people are kinesthetically oriented.
10-15% of people are auditorally oriented.
a whopping 70% or so of people are visually oriented

This is one reason why so many people have the "OH MY GOD!" reaction when they use Har-Bal!

Anyway, I thought the knowledge that studies have shown that 70% of people in the western world are visually oriented could be useful to the Har-Bal team. It could be a useful stat to quote. =)

Also, just because someone is an "audio guy" doesn't mean that is their primary sensory orientation. Myself, for example. In all the NLP tests, and certain clues in the way I tend to speak --- all point to the fact that I'm visually oriented. Kinesthetic comes up second in the order of my primary senses, and auditorilly is *third*, followed by gustatory/olfactory (taste/smell.) I NEVER would have guessed this... but considering the way Har-Bal helped me, it certainly makes sense.
We have to say thank you for all your great ideas. It took us a while trying to convince folks that Har-Bal can actually take them to a higher level of understandingregarding sound. Quite often unfortunately, people are stuck in one mode of thinking. Har-Bal makes youir job easier and trains you at the same time. Most folks, after using Har-Bal for a while are able to listen to a song and actually name the frequency areas that may be causing problems in their tracks. No more guesswork :)
Thanks for bringing to light your experiences and sharing with the world and please believe that we and plenty of others are definately listening to your ideas.

Cheers

Earle
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I'm very interested in the tests you are referring to. How do you go about testing your orientation? Is there some sort of standard test like and IQ test?

Thanks,

Paavo.
mgc3003.com

Post by mgc3003.com »

I don't think there is a standardized test for such a thing, but there is one in the first chapter of "The User's Manual For The Brain" by Bodenhamer & Hall... You might look for that in the psychology section of your local bookstore and just check out the first chapter.

I did a net search and found this little bit of info. Apparently other people are applying this stuff to music... I haven't read this entire article, but there are some interesting bits about this here:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue2 ... dMusic.htm
(Scroll to PRECEPT TWO)

Everyone has all the senses, obviously, but most people tend to favor one over the others. In NLP you learn to sort this as you listen to someone speak, and you make sure when you cite examples of things that you speak to them in the same language in which they think. Does that make sense? I'm pretty new to this myself, but just with my early studies of NLP I've discovered that it's applicable in far, FAR more cases than just communication & therapy. It's --- everywhere.

Also, I guess this goes beyond NLP. Searches for "visual auditory kinesthetic turn up many results.

I mainly mentioned it, though, because in American culture something like 70% of people are primarily visually oriented. Self included, even though I'm an audio guy. =)