Any VST/DirectX EQ can read .mfl files?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
ishay

Any VST/DirectX EQ can read .mfl files?

Post by ishay »

Hi,

Is there any VST/DirectX EQ plugin which can read .mfl files and apply the eq live on a sequencer?
Or perhaps a way to convert .mfl file to any such eq plugin?

Thanks,

Ishay
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I'm not sure, but what you should be looking for is a plugin that is an FIR filter that is capable of importing the FIR filter coefficients from a text file. If you can find a plugin to do that you can export the filter coefficients to a text file from HarBal. You definitely wont find anything that will read .mfl file directly though.

Also note that if you have a FIR plugin that is shorter in length (say 2048 point instead of 8192) you can get the approximate same response from a minimum phase response realisation by just chopping off the end. What this will do is smear the frequency response, so that if you had any high Q peaking or attenuation in the response they'll get widdened and shortened by truncation.

Regards,

Paavo.
ishay

Post by ishay »

Perhaps this can be a nice idea for a first step in giving Har-Bal VST/DirectX capabilities.
I am sure many people won't mind bouncing the master track to be analyzed in Har-Bal, and later on using the generated filter back inside their sequencer :)

Thanks,

Ishay
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

That is certainly do-able. It makes the nature of the plugin very clear cut and removes any modality from the behaviour, which is a real problem in making a natural user interaction. I don't see any big problems is making this happen other than lack of time at the moment. I guess you can expect to see a Har-Bal FIR plugin at some stage.

Paavo.
ishay

Post by ishay »

I will sure be looking forward to it :)