Using Eq after Harbal

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

In your opinion, Earle, does low shelving at 45hz in any way compromise that nice big sub-woofer territory -- or is it just pretty much "mud" and "nothingness" from that point down?

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:In your opinion, Earle, does low shelving at 45hz in any way compromise that nice big sub-woofer territory -- or is it just pretty much "mud" and "nothingness" from that point down?

Tom
Actually it does not compromise the subwoofer territory. Too much bass in a track robs the sound from everything else in a track. Think of the ultra low bass as dead weight. The challenge is to remove the boominess and bring back the kick.

You will also notice that it is much more difficult to master a track and have that commercial loudness with too much bass hanging around.
I always use a sub when I am mastering and I can plainly hear the dreadful muddiness in some tracks that are brought to me.

Most clients are not aware of the added bass content in their tracks because their monitors are not reproducing them. Their frequency range of reproduction may not be that wide. They try and compensate by increasing the bass too until it sounds good in their monitors (By then it is too late).
That is why it is important to follow Har-Bal, because it can plainly show where your bass content is and you don't have to necessarily have a subwoofer. You can just import a song of a similar genre and view the area of the bass content. You can then SEE if you are in the right ballpark :)

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Earle,

In your own mastering, do you routinely use this procedure of low shelving at 45 hz, or is it project specific and used only on an "as needed" basis?

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Earle,

In your own mastering, do you routinely use this procedure of low shelving at 45 hz, or is it project specific and used only on an "as needed" basis?

Tom
Tom

I would have to say that I use low shelving at 45hz better than 90% of the time. I find that nothing is really useful down there especially when most folks are playing their music on systems that have a typical frequency response of 65hz - 15,000hz.

Now I must confess that I will sometimes use this region if the song will be a club version and you want the bass slammin. Most clubs have subwoofers.

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Earle,

Do you prefer the low shelving approach to using a high pass filter -- or do you use both?

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Earle,

Do you prefer the low shelving approach to using a high pass filter -- or do you use both?

Tom
Tom

If I use Har-Bal and I find later that I need to make a small adjustment I pull up as software parametric equalizer. I have the high pass filter set as the default at 45hz.

Earle