Stereo Image

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
tcatzere

Stereo Image

Post by tcatzere »

Is there such a thing as an "optimal" or "standard" stereo image width? If so, what is it and how is it measured or determined?

Tom
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

That's a tough question, partly because so much depends on the acoustic environment and the speaker and listener placement. My "guess" going on the average width of the commercial recordings I have, I'd say something a bit wider than the angle between the speakers, but if you're not getting enough diffuse sound from the room in your listening position then you might not hear that width. The presence or absence of diffuse sound makes a huge difference to the perceived width of a recording. That is one aspect that mastering houses will usually always have over the home studio, unless you are willing to put the time and effort in getting the acoustics right and setting up mid- far field monitoring.

Regards,

Paavo.
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

I'm sure the answer of choice is just "listening," but are there any plugins available that will graphically (and accurately) measure the width of the stereo image/field? There are many for phase analysis, but I'm not aware of any for this particular purpose.

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:I'm sure the answer of choice is just "listening," but are there any plugins available that will graphically (and accurately) measure the width of the stereo image/field? There are many for phase analysis, but I'm not aware of any for this particular purpose.

Tom
Tom

I use the Phasescope that comes standard with Wavelab religiously. It works great. It actually used to come bundled with the Steinberg Mastering Edition.

You know you have a good stereo image when the dots are more vertical that horizontal. The shape should be mostly up and down with some activity to to the sides. If it is too wide it is usually an indication of out of phase issues.

If you ever load a track and it looks like a straight line pointing north and south with absolutely no activity to the sides it means the track is in mono.

Cheers

Earle
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:I'm sure the answer of choice is just "listening," but are there any plugins available that will graphically (and accurately) measure the width of the stereo image/field? There are many for phase analysis, but I'm not aware of any for this particular purpose.

Tom
Tom

You can get a free one here.

http://voyager.adsl.dk/knef/vumeter/

Cheers

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Thanks for all the input, Earle.

Do you know if this little program a plugin or a stand-alone? I haven't downloaded it yet, and I couldn't really tell from what I read.

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Thanks for all the input, Earle.

Do you know if this little program a plugin or a stand-alone? I haven't downloaded it yet, and I couldn't really tell from what I read.

Tom
It is a standalone and a damn good one which I also use quite often.

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Earle,

I just downloaded the little "vu meter" program, and the phase meter is exactly what I was looking for. I am not, however, able to toggle between the other views that are supposedly included. Have you had this problem, or am I just doing something wrong? If I read correctly, you're supposed to be able to toggle between views using the 1-6 number keys -- or the return bar.

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Earle,

I just downloaded the little "vu meter" program, and the phase meter is exactly what I was looking for. I am not, however, able to toggle between the other views that are supposedly included. Have you had this problem, or am I just doing something wrong? If I read correctly, you're supposed to be able to toggle between views using the 1-6 number keys -- or the return bar.

Tom
Tom

There are two ways to toggle between the views.

1. Make sure the application is highlighted and each time you press your return key the view will change.

Or

2. Make sure the application is highlighted and press your "right" --> arrow key.

Earle
Last edited by har-bal on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Earle,

That sure works. Mucho Gracias !

Tom
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Earle,

One last question regarding the "vumeter." You don't seem to be able to minimize it, so how do find it easiest to work with this program -- in other words, making it active when you want to use it -- and pushing it to the background when you don't need it? Maybe you just have to open and close it as needed???

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Earle,

One last question regarding the "vumeter." You don't seem to be able to minimize it, so how do find it easiest to work with this program -- in other words, making it active when you want to use it -- and pushing it to the background when you don't need it? Maybe you just have to open and close it as needed???

Tom
Tom

I use two monitors when I am working. Sure you can open and close it as needed but you can simply resize it by positioning your cursor on the ends and changing the shape to your satisfaction.

You can always place it along the bottom in a rectangle.

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

har-bal wrote:
You know you have a good stereo image when the dots are more vertical that horizontal. The shape should be mostly up and down with some activity to to the sides. If it is too wide it is usually an indication of out of phase issues.

If you ever load a track and it looks like a straight line pointing north and south with absolutely no activity to the sides it means the track is in mono.

Cheers

Earle
Hi Earle,

Regarding the VUmeter . . . I'm working on a stereo file that has a very narrow stereo image. The VU display is pretty much vertical with just a little activity on either side. What I'm noticing, however, is that the display shape is not completely vertical (i.e., 12 o'clock / 6:00 o'clock position). Rather it's skewed just slightly to the right -- more like 12:30 o'clock / 6:30 o'clock. Is there any significance to this -- and, if so, should anything be done about it? Thanks.

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:
har-bal wrote:

Cheers

Earle
Hi Earle,

Regarding the VUmeter . . . I'm working on a stereo file that has a very narrow stereo image. The VU display is pretty much vertical with just a little activity on either side. What I'm noticing, however, is that the display shape is not completely vertical (i.e., 12 o'clock / 6:00 o'clock position). Rather it's skewed just slightly to the right -- more like 12:30 o'clock / 6:30 o'clock. Is there any significance to this -- and, if so, should anything be done about it? Thanks.

Tom
Tom

You can correct this by using the Waves Stereo Imager or anything similar

This control allows adjustment of the centering of the entire stereo image without any effect on relative sound levels in different parts of the stereo stage. It is particularly useful for centering a stereo mix biased to one side of the stereo stage without altering the mix level balance, and for mixing stereo-miked sources, serving as a true stereo 'pan' control.

Earle
BVB

Post by BVB »

Paul Baekelandt
BVB Recording
Belgium