Need help mastering this song

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
doogle

Post by doogle »

High guys im curious about the LR thingy, should this be done to
a finished master or the mixdown first, do the LR thingy and then
go ahead with mastering.

Cheers
doogle

Post by doogle »

Hey guys, im, wondering how often you use this technique in mastering.
Earle do you use it often, i just tried it, sound great, gives the song cool space unlike reverb.
Thanks
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

doogle wrote:Hey guys, im, wondering how often you use this technique in mastering.
Earle do you use it often, i just tried it, sound great, gives the song cool space unlike reverb.
Thanks
Doogle

I usually use this technique immediately after Har-Balizing the file. It works best when the track is lacking in ambience and does wonders bringing out the vocals.

1. Mixdown your song to a stereo track.
2. Import the song into Har-Bal for eq'ing
3. When done use the LR thingy :)
4. Add appropiate Compression and Limiting. (If you are using the standalone T-Racks) use the preset Opto + Half inch.
For those of you using the plugin version of T-Racks we had them create a plugin for us.

You can download the opto + half-inch preset file for the plugin from

Link address www.hdqtrz.com/T-Racks

5. You are done.

Cheers

Earle
Last edited by har-bal on Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

If you've used or are using a stereo image expander then it'll most likely be doing the same thing without the added ambience processor in the chain.

The point of me outlining this was not so much a case of making an easy task difficult but to give a means of adding ambience with an ambience processor without loosing centre stage in a wash of sound. If you can get the ambience and space you need without adding the ambience in the chain then you may as well just use a stereo image expander in your chain as this approach without the ambience processor is the same thing.

I'd suggest using a stereo expander plug first off and if you get the results you need then leave it at that, otherwise go through this process including the final stage of additional ambience added to the difference track. At least we know how stereo expanders work now!

Regards,

Paavo.
doogle

Post by doogle »

Hi all, let me just say that it is a breath of fresh air on this forum, ive been hanging out at those other shit holes getting nothing but smart arse responses.
I wish this place was a bit more active but i also dont expect Earle and Paavo to be replying 24/7.
When Har-bal takes over the world and you need someone to help out in the forum, i put my hand up.
I think one main reason as to why this forum is not flat chat, is due to the exactness of the responses here. No bullshit, just great help.
I tried that LR thingy with Stereo enhancement, and i got a black when the vocals jumped out.
Im considering suing. :wink:
I love the Lr thingy thanks guys.
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

doogle wrote:Hi all, let me just say that it is a breath of fresh air on this forum, ive been hanging out at those other shit holes getting nothing but smart arse responses.
I wish this place was a bit more active but i also dont expect Earle and Paavo to be replying 24/7.
When Har-bal takes over the world and you need someone to help out in the forum, i put my hand up.
I think one main reason as to why this forum is not flat chat, is due to the exactness of the responses here. No bullshit, just great help.
I tried that LR thingy with Stereo enhancement, and i got a black when the vocals jumped out.
Im considering suing. :wink:
I love the Lr thingy thanks guys.
Doogle

Thanks for that.

Paavo and I appreciate our customers immensely. The great thing about this forum is that all egos are left at the door.

We intend to develop a community of folks that are both sincere and true to the game.

You are correct regarding little activity here. The folks here try to answer your questions and work with you until you have a total understanding of each phase of mastering.

All we ask is that you help us by spreading the word. We are not a million dollar company but our support "is".

Also anytime you want to help out in the forum just let us know. We would be glad to have you.

Cheers

Earle
doogle

Post by doogle »

Hi Earle, whenever im on these other bogus sites, and i come across a guy who needs help
and is trying to learn mastering i send him a personal message to come to this site.
I also tell him ignore any of the so called "pro's" on that forums, unjustified objections to the software. Some of these mongrels make me laugh. They can stick to there parametric until they wake up, if ever. The likes of Massive Mastering (PPPHHHHH), Bluebear Sound, (PPPPHHH), the' l have to come up with false id's to eventually appreciate and purchase Har-bal.
I have PMed about 20-25 people to check it out, and i will keep on doing so.
Seriously, im a net surfing Har-bal Billboard.

Cheers
doogle

Post by doogle »

If there is anything i can do, let me know.
1 thing though i dont know weather im worthy of dishing out information about audio yet, but anyway let me know.
Cheers
Another thing i have to say.
I sometimes wonder about the human condition.
So many people are not generous at all, take more than they give, that sort of thing. Put you down for trying Har-bal.
It is truly special how people on this forum help each other, and we have Earle and Paavo to thank for setting the standard with their generous response, tips, tricks and so on.
This shows true mastery not only of ones self, but of ones craft.

For an idea to be successful, you have to give it away, you have to be willing to let other people think that it was theirs! You can't be possessive, you can't be jealous!...

That is how i feel you guys are toward Audio, and life.

The "gurus" of audio believe that only a select few should be allowed to master. Which is why they will never be anything other than assholes putting people down on internet chat forums.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

doogle wrote: Another thing i have to say.
I sometimes wonder about the human condition.
So many people are not generous at all, take more than they give, that sort of thing. Put you down for trying Har-bal.
It is truly special how people on this forum help each other, and we have Earle and Paavo to thank for setting the standard with their generous response, tips, tricks and so on.
This shows true mastery not only of ones self, but of ones craft.

For an idea to be successful, you have to give it away, you have to be willing to let other people think that it was theirs! You can't be possessive, you can't be jealous!...
Hi doogle,

You really connected with me on that one. It's all too easy to get depressed about the state of society these days, the prominance of the "me" generation and the "lookout for oneself at the expense of all others" mentality. There's a great sense of relief and faith renued when I hear someone aspose views such as your own.

Truly, thanks for making the world a better place. We need more like you.

Regards,

Paavo.
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

tcatzere wrote:
HarBal wrote: You have to do both channel swapping and inverting. If you only do one or the other then it wont result in a stereo difference track. You need to do the inversion on the L-R swapped track to get the correct phasing when mixing back together.

Paavo.
Paavo,

It appears that "doogle" became quite active in his posts and you may have missed the following question that was posted earlier. Would appreciate your comments:

You obviously "swap" the two channels. But regarding the inversion . . . does this mean that you "invert" only one of them -- and not both channels? Thanks.

Tom
doogle

Post by doogle »

You really connected with me on that one. It's all too easy to get depressed about the state of society these days, the prominance of the "me" generation and the "lookout for oneself at the expense of all others" mentality. There's a great sense of relief and faith renued when I hear someone aspose views such as your own.

Truly, thanks for making the world a better place. We need more like you.

Regards,

Hey thanks Paavo.
I cant take credit for this little gem.

"For an idea to be successful, you have to give it away, you have to be willing to let other people think that it was theirs! You can't be possessive, you can't be jealous!..."

Sir Richard Feynman. Im sure you are farmiliar with this guy.

Keep up the good work guys.

:wink: :P
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

tcatzere wrote: Paavo,

It appears that "doogle" became quite active in his posts and you may have missed the following question that was posted earlier. Would appreciate your comments:

You obviously "swap" the two channels. But regarding the inversion . . . does this mean that you "invert" only one of them -- and not both channels? Thanks.

Tom
To clarify, you invert both channels of the left right flipped stereo track.
doogle wrote: "For an idea to be successful, you have to give it away, you have to be willing to let other people think that it was theirs! You can't be possessive, you can't be jealous!..."

Sir Richard Feynman. Im sure you are farmiliar with this guy.

Keep up the good work guys.

:wink: :P
I must admit that whilst the name rang a bell I couldn't place him. Google put me right though. I like the "standing on the shoulders of giants..." description that Newton penned, though he sounded like he wasn't a very personable person.

Paavo.