Two ideas for key commands

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
Mister

Two ideas for key commands

Post by Mister »

Greetings!

I have two suggestions for some convenience features for Har-Bal.

The first one involves the Match Loudness feature. Frequently when I need to use reference files they are, of course, often louder due to compression/limiting. This will often incur "overs" in the source if I attempt to raise the source file to the reference file. What I usually do (and I also pass this on as a tip to Har-Bal users) is I use the key command 'Ctrl M', make note of the increase, return it to zero (Ctrl Home), switch to the reference file, and decrease it by the same amount, and raise the control room monitors accordingly, sparing me from creating a file with too many zero points. My suggestion (finally!) is to create a Key Command (perhaps Ctrl + Shift M) that would bring the reference file down the level of the source file.

My second suggestion is somewhat similar and that would be a Key Command to directly raise or lower levels without having to use the mouse first on the fader to invoke the page up/ page down function. Something like 'Ctrl 1' to raise the level by 1 dB, 'Ctrl 2' by 2 dB, etc.and again 'Ctrl + Shift 1' to lower it by 1 dB.

Just some ideas I hope others might find useful too.

So Long!
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I like those ideas a lot!

Paavo.
Mister

Post by Mister »

Hi! Back Again!

I realized that my second suggestion already utilizes those key commands for waveform displays, so perhaps use the number pad to activate those volume changes - ie: use 'Ctrl 1 (Num Pad)' to raise by 1 dB, etc.

A small oversight on my part!...
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

No problem. I'll take your suggested key combos on board.

By the way, I believe I may have an ideal automated spectrum adjustment algorithm (ie. one button press solution) that is largely fool proof and should work at least 95% of the time. It is based on a simply study of what I generally do when adjusting spectrums without a reference and is an algorithm that does not use a reference. It should also largely preserve all the feature bumps in the spectrum as well.

I've yet to code it up but I feel confident that It should work without problem. If it does then I'll probably have an interim release of another version of HarBal prior to the Mac port release as this feature is something should be put out ASAP if at all possible. If I have success with this I'll most likely add your suggestions to the release.

Regards,

Paavo.
FunDog

Post by FunDog »

I believe I may have an ideal automated spectrum adjustment algorithm (ie. one button press solution) that is largely fool proof and should work at least 95% of the time. It is based on a simply study of what I generally do when adjusting spectrums

Can't wait to try this!

FunDog
Mister

Post by Mister »

...so perhaps use the number pad to activate those volume changes - ie: use 'Ctrl 1 (Num Pad)' to raise by 1 dB, etc
Sorry Paavo

Just one more: use 'Ctrl + "." (Num Pad)' to move by one-tenth of a dB.

Mister
Susan G

Post by Susan G »

FunDog wrote:
I believe I may have an ideal automated spectrum adjustment algorithm (ie. one button press solution) that is largely fool proof and should work at least 95% of the time. It is based on a simply study of what I generally do when adjusting spectrums

Can't wait to try this!

FunDog
Ditto!

-Susan