High Pass Filter Settings

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
tcatzere

High Pass Filter Settings

Post by tcatzere »

Earle,

I'm currently working on a project with a real nice big bass bottom end. I have already shelved it slightly at about 45Hz. However, there still seems to be some subsonic rumble and muddiness. I thought maybe I would use a high pass filter to remove some of that, but I wasn't sure what the best setting would be in order to preserve that big full (almost movie theatre) sound -- 35Hz or maybe 40Hz?? There's probably some "standard" threshold for this, but I'm not sure what it is. Thanks.

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: High Pass Filter Settings

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Earle,

I'm currently working on a project with a real nice big bass bottom end. I have already shelved it slightly at about 45Hz. However, there still seems to be some subsonic rumble and muddiness. I thought maybe I would use a high pass filter to remove some of that, but I wasn't sure what the best setting would be in order to preserve that big full (almost movie theatre) sound -- 35Hz or maybe 40Hz?? There's probably some "standard" threshold for this, but I'm not sure what it is. Thanks.

Tom
Hello Tom

Try (18 dB/Oct) and sweep from 40hz until the rumble disappears.

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Hi Earle,

With this procedure, are you suggesting a sweep using a Q of about 1.4 (one octave)? If so, is it possible to find the offending frequencies with a Q this broad?

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Hi Earle,

With this procedure, are you suggesting a sweep using a Q of about 1.4 (one octave)? If so, is it possible to find the offending frequencies with a Q this broad?

Tom
Tom

You are sweeping with a high pass filter from 45hz >
You don't need to determine a Q

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Sorry about that Earle. I assumed you meant a sweep with a parametric equalizer.

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Sorry about that Earle. I assumed you meant a sweep with a parametric equalizer.

Tom
Tom

If you engage a high pass filter using a parametric equalizer the Q would be dis-engaged anyway. You would only be able to sweep the frequency

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Earle,

By its very nature, would the judicious use of a high pass filter on material that has a fairly substantial bottom end tend to add a little clarity and definition to vocals?

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Earle,

By its very nature, would the judicious use of a high pass filter on material that has a fairly substantial bottom end tend to add a little clarity and definition to vocals?

Tom
It would be comparable to removing a veil. You would be surprised how a mix can be clouded by too much low end. Its different if you are specifically looking for that sound like the style "drum and bass" or some forms of rap or techno with pronounced sub-sonics.

Just as we discussed earlier it is best to start at 45hz and slowly sweep back and forth until the bass is nice and round...no longer muddy.

Cheers

Earle