Har Bal saves Live Recording! (and my reputation)

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
Robert Schulze Lutum

Har Bal saves Live Recording! (and my reputation)

Post by Robert Schulze Lutum »

I made a live recording of the local church choir (special request) and they sang beautifully.
I used four Sennheiser Condenser mics and they really made a beautiful picture, needing no EQ at all.

But then, back home: Oh, MY GOD!
Hum on the left channel. Mains hum.

Well: I analysed a few seconds of audio with no singing and made a filter that reduced the 50 Hz hum down to the rest of the noise floor.

I then applied this filter to the entire left channel audio and was greatly relieved to hear that the hum had been dampened to a barely audible level. Luckily there is little 50 Hz content in choir music, so I got away with it.

The beauty of this process is that with Har-Bal´s superior analysis capability you can easily see where the hum is and how far down you have to take the problem frequency (and its harmonics, by the way).

Thank you Paavo and Earl, you have my full admiration and respect.

Hang in there!

Robert
Landphil

Post by Landphil »

Robert,
That's a great story! Being relatively new to Har-Bal, I hadn't thought much about it's abilities for noise reduction. Analizing a quiet passage in a track to remove an unwanted background frequency sounds interesting. I have some tracks where you can hear the low "rumble" of an air conditioner bleeding through the vocal mic. I'll give your method a shot instead of the usual parametric notch filter. Thanks for the tip!

Phil
Har/Bal

Amazing!!

Post by Har/Bal »

Robert

You are always full of surprises. we never even thought of Har-Bal functioning in this manner. I guess you are a true pioneer.

How is your family doing? We haven't heard from you in a while. I hope your business is working out great for you. Germany should be warming up pretty soon. I really miss Germany. Our family had a ball over there. So many things to do and places to visit. we used to choose a different place to vist every weekend.

Earle
Triniti

Hello Earl

Post by Triniti »

Hello man Triniti here