New custumer...question?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
rogermask

New custumer...question?

Post by rogermask »

I just bought Har-bal today.. congrats this is a great program. question I mix in "samplitude" bring the file into har-bal then eq, little air, some limiting gain. so whats next after all of this to complite the mastering...

Also what bit file should I bring into har-bal...24bit , 32bit float ?

By the way, I get this massage when I have samplitude open an open a file (using I different audio card) "debugging is not supported" and then the program closes.

Thank you... :D
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: New custumer...question?

Post by har-bal »

rogermask wrote:I just bought Har-bal today.. congrats this is a great program. question I mix in "samplitude" bring the file into har-bal then eq, little air, some limiting gain. so whats next after all of this to complite the mastering...

Also what bit file should I bring into har-bal...24bit , 32bit float ?

By the way, I get this massage when I have samplitude open an open a file (using I different audio card) "debugging is not supported" and then the program closes.

Thank you... :D
Roger

Har-Bal does not like to share sound drivers. You need to close Samplitude before you open Har-Bal or you can check to see if there is a setting in Samplitude that allows you to release the driver when you are not playing a file. Wavelab allows for this option. This way you can have have both applications open at the same time.

Cheers

Earle
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

"so whats next after all of this to complite the mastering..."

I'd say that you are nearly finished, assuming that you've done everything correctly - and that is purely subjective.

The only other step I do after what you've done is to bring the Har-Balized file into an 'editor' (i.e., Pro Tools) to clean up the front, create a fade out or other edits. You may be able to do this with Samplitude, too.

If you do keep your audio files at 24-bit, 48 kHz (or higher) you'll need to dither down to to 16-bit/44.1 kHz to create a useable CD for manufacture or for your mom - whoever your audience is.

This is one other thing that I do in ProTools as a final step. Some CD creator programs can do this sample conversion down to 16-bit/44.1 kHz for you.

Once you have 16-bit/44.1 kHz audio files you just assemble in a CD burning program.
rogermask

asio driver..

Post by rogermask »

Thanks guys for your replay. I do have another question when I use de "asio driver" on any of audio cards I get some pops and crackles with the Yamaha i88 or my M-audio delta. I can only use the "multimedia driver " theres any work aroun for this...Thank you
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

My first suggestion would be to go to m audio's web site and make sure you have the most recent driver for your sound device.
rogermask

Asio problems

Post by rogermask »

I do have the lates drives on both of my cards and I dont get any pops an any other program..like samplitude, sonar... thank you
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Roger,

What is the buffer size settings in your ASIO drivers? It sounds as though they may be too small for Har-Bal to handle without keeping up with data thoughput. I have an M-Audio Audiophile and it will happily run using a buffer size of 768 samples.

Another thing to check is the GUI animation stuff in windows (ie. fading menus etc). This "rubbish" eats up a lot of CPU when it happens and this may also cause this sort of a problem with small buffer sizes. I always have that screen animation stuff turned off.

Finally, some graphics cards and graphics drivers have been known to interfere with sound cards depending on how they're configured. Don't know a great deal about this so can't really give any advice. Just pointing it out as a possibility to look into.

Regards,

Paavo.
rogermask

Asio

Post by rogermask »

Thank you Paavo for your response. I have the same audio card as yours... audiophile and I change it to 768 and it work fine now.

Im doing a ten song production for a client. my mixes are putty good mix in samplitude after I do some tweaking and har-bal sounds much much better. I read the tutorial in har-bal but I dint see that you guys mention anything about using a loudness maximizer after all the changes in har-bal... is that necessary?

Rogermask

The option to use a loudness maximizer is up to you. It should really be dependent on the genre of music you are mastering.

Har-Bal has a built in limiter so you can either use a reference track and use the match loudness feature or check the average RMS and decide just how loud you want it to be.

Cheers

Earle