2.0 meter question

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
LoTekRoolz

2.0 meter question

Post by LoTekRoolz »

Hi, all.

Just a quck question...

I am a little confused about the gain reduction meter.

I brought a song into harbal that shows an RMS of -20 and peak of -2.8db in wavelab. In Har-Bal it shows an average of -16 and peak of -2.6db.

After intuitQ (large button) the song sounds great even though it only made one small reduction @ 100-190Hz. My question is why, after Harbal matches the loudness of the new filter, would the gain reduction meter blink between no GR and 1 bar on the meter?

I am not using Air or the limiter on this track.

Am I bringing the track in too hot?

Thanks in advance,

LoTek.
"Walk softly in the presence of cheetahs...you are tasty with hot sauce."
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

LoTek,

If HarBal made a small reduction in the 100-190Hz range then loudness compensation will have to boost the overall level somewhat to compensate. If your track is close to full scale then that would explain why limiting is taking place. If you look at the frequency response view you will be able to see how much the overall level has been lifted to compensate for the cut.

Regards,

Paavo.
LoTekRoolz

Post by LoTekRoolz »

Thank you for the quick reply. I tried to check in yest., but had trouble getting to your site. Might be my modem.

Regards,

LoTek
"Walk softly in the presence of cheetahs...you are tasty with hot sauce."