What's best to get a song to -3 db

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
bax3

What's best to get a song to -3 db

Post by bax3 »

Ok, the conscience seems to be that a song should be brought into Har-bal at about -3 db.
What is the best way to get it there if the song has already been brought to a level above that?
Should I simple pull down the input volume slider in Har-bal?
Should I rerecord it at a lower level?
Should I normalize at – 3db?
Thanks,
Bax
Har/Bal

Song Level

Post by Har/Bal »

Bax

I generally try to get a song to as close as 0.0 as possible in a sound editor (Sound Forge, Wavelab, etc). I then export the track over to Har-Bal and sculpt it. Now here is a trick!

In the new version you have a match loudness feature. Use a reference template and click on equalizer/match loudness and make a note of the volume increase or decrease. Move the fader back to zero. Record your newly made EQ as you usually do.

Open your track in a sound editor again and this time when you open your limiter (plugin), use -0.1 for the outceiling and input the number you made a note of "in HarBal" into the threshold and apply.

You can actually use this process for an entire album and the volume will be consistent across all of your tracks.

You are done.

Earle
bax3

just to be sure I understand

Post by bax3 »

What is the setting if you have a plus number? It works great with - numbers.
Thanks,
Bax
Har/Bal

+ number

Post by Har/Bal »

Bax

Your threshold in your limiter always starts at 0.0 and works its way down.

The increase you get in Har-Bal when you choose "match loudness" is actually the negative number you set your threshold in your limiter to.

For example.

1. You attempt to match the loudness to a reference in Har-Bal and the fader rises to +4.4

2. Make a note of the gain and pull the fader back to its original position 0.0

3. Record your newly eq'd file in Har-bal

4. Open your sound editor and set the outceiling at -0.1 and your "threshold" at -4.4.

Remember, the more you pull your fader down in the "threshold" box in your limiter the louder the song. But you don't want it so loud that you have sqashed the life out of your song.

So always use a well mastered CD as a reference for loudness that doesn't sound squashed.

One more thing :)

If you attempt to match loudness with a well mastered CD and the fader moves down to the negative region your song was probably too loud anyway.

In this case you can apply the loudness reduction in Har-Bal and now when you apply limiting use -0.1 as your outceiling and 0.0 as your "threshold".

Hope this helps. I works perfectly for me. When I am finished with an album the volume is consistent across the entire CD 100% of the time.

Earle

Post by Guest »

Sounds awesome! (Har-Bal and this tip!)

You're talking about the ceiling/threshold of the Elephant, L2 or Vintage Warmer type limiter, right?
bax3

It work great

Post by bax3 »

I'm not sure what forum edicate says about extra posts just to say thanks, but thanks! Not only does Har-bal help me solve problems, I'm starting to underst and more about what caused them.
Another wonderful suggestion was to go back and rerecord some of the old tapes using some good EQ before I brought them into the computer. I had worked for a month trying to "fix" a recording that just needed better information to start with.
Thanks for the help,
Bax