regarding intuitQ

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
Ged Leitch

regarding intuitQ

Post by Ged Leitch »

before i go on please understand that i'm very very happy with Har Bal, and when i've used it on decent mixes it's worked a treat.
However, i've been running some age old mixes through V2 and came across a bass heavy track.Sculpted the low end to a ref song that was similar, then hit the intuitQ button.
It did sound alot better, but after i listened again on my kef reference monitors it still sounds very peaky in the bass.
So i guessed multiband on the lows should do the trick, but its just messing up the mix too much, the attack times on the mb comp had to be really fast to catch the oomph of the kick drum.Which in turn is distorting the low end due to the speed of the settings.
Im stumped, for the first time ever, gonna keep trying though...
any ideas would be appreciated!
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Ged,

I'd suggest trying to roll off / shelve the bottom end. Move the knee point of the low frequency end up to a higher and higher frequency until the muddiness dissapears.

Regards,

Paavo.
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

HarBal wrote:Hi Ged,

I'd suggest trying to roll off / shelve the bottom end. Move the knee point of the low frequency end up to a higher and higher frequency until the muddiness dissapears.

Regards,

Paavo.
I would have to second that advice :)

Earle
Ged Leitch

Post by Ged Leitch »

har-bal wrote:

Regards,

Paavo.

Earle
AAAhhh, it's completed...
finally got the best ref i could get (contemperary) sculpted then imported to Pro tools, then had to apply SERIOUS peak compression to the low end, got the attack/release settings optimized so there would be no audible modulation, then a simple de-essing on the hi mids, almost done! export back to harbal for the limiter...
tweaked the hi end shelf a bit, then used the new HarBal limiter for some gain and voila!
Phew, never thought i'd get that track sounded decent.
Got to say guys Harbal's simplicity really amazes me, the limiter was great and i'm sure I may use it more now that I'm finally getting to grips with the program.
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

Ged Leitch wrote:
har-bal wrote:

Regards,

Paavo.

Earle
AAAhhh, it's completed...
finally got the best ref i could get (contemperary) sculpted then imported to Pro tools, then had to apply SERIOUS peak compression to the low end, got the attack/release settings optimized so there would be no audible modulation, then a simple de-essing on the hi mids, almost done! export back to harbal for the limiter...
tweaked the hi end shelf a bit, then used the new HarBal limiter for some gain and voila!
Phew, never thought i'd get that track sounded decent.
Got to say guys Harbal's simplicity really amazes me, the limiter was great and i'm sure I may use it more now that I'm finally getting to grips with the program.
Ged

There is a learning curve with Har-Bal, but once you get the hang of it...it becomes a killer tool. The new limiter is extremely kind to your music now :)

A great experiment would be to take Har-Bal and use a Real Time Analyzer on a second screen. You would be amazed at how well balanced the track is after using intuitQ. If the track doesn't sound good after balancing it, it is time to remix the track.

Cheers

Earle