Question about hip hop production mastering

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
BlkGost

Question about hip hop production mastering

Post by BlkGost »

First and foremost, I love the software. I can't believe my tracks are as loud as they are now (I used 50 cents hustlers ambition as my reference track for volume matching). I do have a few questions.

Seeing I just started the whole mastering learning process I know i have a lot to learn

1. I use chopped samples often (usually cutting out the bass to make room for my drums and bassline), and seeing the samples are already mastered would I be over processing them using HB?

2. Before HB my songs sounded very tinny and harsh, now they sound muffled. I assume its my fault by altering the eq curve too much. What FQ range should I bring up to put the highs (pressence) back into the song?

3. What do you suggest to use to warm up the overall sound and/or fatten it?

4. Can you suggest a free vst crossover/filter to download (I don't have one ?!?)

Thanks for your help

-M
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Question about hip hop production mastering

Post by har-bal »

BlkGost wrote:First and foremost, I love the software. I can't believe my tracks are as loud as they are now (I used 50 cents hustlers ambition as my reference track for volume matching). I do have a few questions.

Seeing I just started the whole mastering learning process I know i have a lot to learn

1. I use chopped samples often (usually cutting out the bass to make room for my drums and bassline), and seeing the samples are already mastered would I be over processing them using HB?

2. Before HB my songs sounded very tinny and harsh, now they sound muffled. I assume its my fault by altering the eq curve too much. What FQ range should I bring up to put the highs (pressence) back into the song?

3. What do you suggest to use to warm up the overall sound and/or fatten it?

4. Can you suggest a free vst crossover/filter to download (I don't have one ?!?)

Thanks for your help

-M
M

Tell us step by step how you are mastering your tracks and we can tell you what corrective action to take.

Earle
BlkGost

Post by BlkGost »

I lay out my loops in cuebase sx then record my vocals

I add compression to the vocals (2:1),drums,etc, some moderate eqing, blend the vocals with the music, and add Spectra Live to the master track (I used to limit, but I have HB now :-))

I do have studio monitors, I don't have a booth for vocals so I know thats killing the quality.

I don't know if that was what you were looking for, but thats pretty much it.

-M......short for Mack
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

BlkGost wrote:I lay out my loops in cuebase sx then record my vocals

I add compression to the vocals (2:1),drums,etc, some moderate eqing, blend the vocals with the music, and add Spectra Live to the master track (I used to limit, but I have HB now :-))

I do have studio monitors, I don't have a booth for vocals so I know thats killing the quality.

I don't know if that was what you were looking for, but thats pretty much it.

-M......short for Mack
Mack

I should of been more specific. I need to know your mastering process and how you are using Har-Bal.

Earle
BlkGost

Post by BlkGost »

well seeing I just bought it so far I've only used it to help correct eq problems with my mixed down track, and for volume maximizing. And I do that after adding whatever changes I make to the track while in cubase.

edit: maybe I jumped the gun in posting I'm going to toy around with some of the suggestions I've read so far in the forums. I do have a question about the opto half inch preset in t-racks. When I match volumed my track to -9.2 db, I saved it, opened it up in tracks and applied that setting. The sound I heard out the speakers was almost on the point of distortion, though upon analysis in wavelab, it said it was at a -.09 db average with no clipping. Should i just leave the track be after using Har-Bal and not use T-Racks? or was one of my settings off?
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

BlkGost wrote:well seeing I just bought it so far I've only used it to help correct eq problems with my mixed down track, and for volume maximizing. And I do that after adding whatever changes I make to the track while in cubase.

edit: maybe I jumped the gun in posting I'm going to toy around with some of the suggestions I've read so far in the forums. I do have a question about the opto half inch preset in t-racks. When I match volumed my track to -9.2 db, I saved it, opened it up in tracks and applied that setting. The sound I heard out the speakers was almost on the point of distortion, though upon analysis in wavelab, it said it was at a -.09 db average with no clipping. Should i just leave the track be after using Har-Bal and not use T-Racks? or was one of my settings off?
Mack

There are a number of methods that can be used. Previously we recommended T-Racks with the opto+half inch preset because Har-Bal did not have a limiter. Now with the addition of the limiter Har-Bal can be the last phase of your processing.

1. When you have finished a mixdown export your track to Har-Bal for spectral correction. You have two choices here. You can manually sculpt the spectrum and press the large intuitQ button or just press the intuitQ button and allow Har-Bal to balance it for you.

2. Normally at this point because of the genre you want punch in the music. Import yoursong_eq.wav into a sound editor and pull up a multiband compressor. There are a varity of tools that you can use to accomplish this phase. Because you already balanced your track you just want to add fatness and a bit of high end. Izotope is pretty good at this point. I recently posted a preset on the other site folks can use.

3. When this is done you can bring the track back over to Har-Bal for final level matching. This will insure that your volume is consistent throughout your album.

The reason I was asking for your mastering steps was so I could tell you some ways to get the best out of your tools.

In Har-Bal if you click on options/show tips it will show you the region that causes the muddiness in a track.

If you are still having difficulties I will call you.

Earle
BlkGost

Post by BlkGost »

Thanks for the advice once I get home I may run it through a spark fx machine preset and adjust the settings. Other than that the only other multiband compressor I have is a sonic foundry one (I don't own Izotope).
JTroska

Post by JTroska »

BlkGost wrote:I do have a question about the opto half inch preset in t-racks. When I match volumed my track to -9.2 db, I saved it, opened it up in tracks and applied that setting. The sound I heard out the speakers was almost on the point of distortion, though upon analysis in wavelab, it said it was at a -.09 db average with no clipping. Should i just leave the track be after using Har-Bal and not use T-Racks? or was one of my settings off?
2 things that may have been the problem come to mind.

1) When you use Har-Bal to "Match Loudness" with the intent to use another dynamic processor (in this case, T-Racks) to get that loudness, you have to reset that Limiter Gain back to "0" before you export from Har-Bal. Otherwise, you'll be limiting twice as much as you intended to.

2) T-Racks' numeric displays are way too inaccurate to really use with the Match Loudness trick. For example, setting the T-Racks compressor's input to 0.0 unity gain actually gives you a ~3 to ~4 db increase! There's really no way to know when you've attained a 9.2db increase with T-Racks. With T-Racks, you can only go by your ears.

I've come up with my own T-Racks template that has been working very well with my Har-Bal exports. If anybody is interested, I'll post it. I'll have to go over to my other Mac computer to get it.

I'd say use the Match Loudness feature