Solo selected frequency

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
Martin Burrow

Solo selected frequency

Post by Martin Burrow »

Hi there,

I don't know if this possible technically but sometimes i feel it would be really useful if i could just select a certain frequency in the graph and hear that solo'ed . It would need some sort of tool for marking the fequency range a bit like one would in an audio editor . I would be great for hearing what was going on for that selected range and also great for ear training and learning. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Regards
Martin
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Martin,

It is probably less usefull than you think depending on what you were after. By that I mean that if you were after perfect selectivity then that would require a brick wall filter which are unrealisable. You can realize an approximation using FIR filters but the impulse response would exhibit strong ringing around the cutoff frequencies which would colour the notion of what that band actually sounds like, so as a feature it really isn't that useful or informative. I'd suggest just using a 1 octave or a 1/3 octave band equalizer and selecting one band at a time.

Regards,

Paavo.
Martin Burrow

Post by Martin Burrow »

Hi Paavo,
Thanks for your reply . I guess I was asking the impossible and now you've explained the tecnical issues involved it makes sense . I'll have to try an equalizer like you suggested . One of the reasons was that after using intuitQ the snare seemed to become thinner and less punchy in the mix and I thought it would be cool to isolate the frequency on the graph to see what was happening visually . But I have been boosting the snare at 218hz by 4.4db with a Q of 1.00 so I guess I could just put that back using the Har Bal Parametric right?

Regards
Martin
Ged Leitch

Post by Ged Leitch »

or you could just try using a multiband compressor and solo the bands you want to hear.
Ged Leitch

Post by Ged Leitch »

also, voxengo's span (free) allows you to do that but as Paavo says the ringing at the cut off point of the filter masks what your trying to listen for.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

If it is an idividual instrument issue and you have access to the tracking then just look at the spectrum of the track for the snare drum on its own. That should give you a much better idea than just playing around with a graphic EQ.

Regards,

Paavo.
Martin Burrow

Post by Martin Burrow »

HarBal wrote:If it is an idividual instrument issue and you have access to the tracking then just look at the spectrum of the track for the snare drum on its own. That should give you a much better idea than just playing around with a graphic EQ.

Regards,

Paavo.
Hi Paavo,

Just to clarify things . I have been boosting the snare at that frequency to give it a bit more body ( this at the is pre mix stage ). But I was noticing that the intuitQ was lowering the level around those frequencies when used on the final mix . My solution is to just give a slight boost again using the Har-bal Parametric EQ . I'm still on a learning curve :)

Thanks everyone for your input
Regards
Kraznet
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

Martin Burrow wrote:
HarBal wrote:If it is an idividual instrument issue and you have access to the tracking then just look at the spectrum of the track for the snare drum on its own. That should give you a much better idea than just playing around with a graphic EQ.

Regards,

Paavo.
Hi Paavo,

Just to clarify things . I have been boosting the snare at that frequency to give it a bit more body ( this at the is pre mix stage ). But I was noticing that the intuitQ was lowering the level around those frequencies when used on the final mix . My solution is to just give a slight boost again using the Har-bal Parametric EQ . I'm still on a learning curve :)

Thanks everyone for your input
Regards
Kraznet
Kraznet

Below is a process I normally use. Assumably ,most tracks you load into Har-Bal are NOT balanced and this is the most important phase.

If you first balance the track by pressing intuitQ then you only have to make minimal changes to fine tune it. These small changes will not have a negative affect on the spectrum. Its the balancing of the spectrum that has always been the challenge for years and with the built in loudness compensation you can really HEAR the effect of your changes.

Cheers

Earle