parallel compression?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Ged Leitch

parallel compression?

Post by Ged Leitch »

Hi Earle, you ever find yourself using parallel compression when mastering?
it really works great on certain tracks, no squashing!!!
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Ged,

Can you explain what parallel compression is? I'm not aware of the terminology and am curious to know what it is exactly.

Regards,

Paavo.
Ged Leitch

Post by Ged Leitch »

HarBal wrote:Hi Ged,

Can you explain what parallel compression is? I'm not aware of the terminology and am curious to know what it is exactly.

Regards,

Paavo.
Hey Paavo, how you doing? actually you will like this...
as you know every comp is the same in how it works i.e it clamps down on transients and increases the RMS, it "squashes" for want of a better term.
Parallel compression works like this...
you take a track(unprocessed) and mix in a duplicate of it which has been extremely compressed of most transients, and mix to taste.
That way all the high level transients are intact AND the low level RMS stuff is boosted at the same time.
Phi Lion

Post by Phi Lion »

Yes.

I like psp vintage warmer, it has a mix function which allows this.

Plugins with a mix function/parrallel function are great.
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

Ged Leitch wrote: Parallel compression works like this...
you take a track(unprocessed) and mix in a duplicate of it which has been extremely compressed of most transients, and mix to taste.
Commonly known as the "New York compression trick"...
Ged Leitch

Post by Ged Leitch »

mflorio wrote:
it's been used for ages by engineers all over the world, just under different names.
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

Ged Leitch wrote:
mflorio wrote:
it's been used for ages by engineers all over the world, just under different names.
I think I like the term 'parallel compression' better ! Seems to me you can acheive basically the same thing with a multi-band compressor - unless you want to further process the compressed and non-compressed signals separately.

Mike
Ged Leitch

Post by Ged Leitch »

mflorio wrote:
Ged Leitch wrote:
mflorio wrote: Commonly known as the "New York compression trick"...
I think I like the term 'parallel compression' better ! Seems to me you can acheive basically the same thing with a multi-band compressor - unless you want to further process the compressed and non-compressed signals separately.

Mike
yeh same here Mike, it makes more sense than "side" compression which i've heard it called.
The waves Linear multiband pdf has a great section on it, but they call it "low level" compression.Too many names!!! :lol:
Ged Leitch

Post by Ged Leitch »

Mike, just checked out your site, it looks great mate, i actually share a similar interest in film scoring myself, but yet to have the opportunity to work on a "biggie"
just got my diploma from the LA film music institute after 2 years of scoring in pro tools.
Though obviously your a much more accomplished composer.
Keep up the great work!
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: parallel compression?

Post by har-bal »

Ged Leitch wrote:Hi Earle, you ever find yourself using parallel compression when mastering?
Hello Ged

Yes, I have heard of it but most folks usually use it on individual tracks during the mixdown phase. Are you asking whether this should be used across an entire track during mastering?

Earle
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

Ged Leitch wrote:Mike, just checked out your site, it looks great mate, i actually share a similar interest in film scoring myself, but yet to have the opportunity to work on a "biggie"
just got my diploma from the LA film music institute after 2 years of scoring in pro tools.
Though obviously your a much more accomplished composer.
Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the comments Ged ! I've not yet met a filmmaker who had any money to spend :( but I enjoy the process, as I'm sure you do.

Mike
Ged Leitch

Re: parallel compression?

Post by Ged Leitch »

har-bal wrote:
Ged Leitch wrote:Hi Earle, you ever find yourself using parallel compression when mastering?
Hello Ged

Yes, I have heard of it but most folks usually use it on individual tracks during the mixdown phase. Are you asking whether this should be used across an entire track during mastering?

Earle
yeh in mastering, you can acheive it by doing this...
copy your mix and put it in another audio track.
insert a compressor on one of the tracks.
set the compressor to "heavy" compression i.e lots of gain reduction to bring up the low level sounds.
you now have two tracks - one clean - one processed.
the idea is to "blend in" the processed track to taste, very subtly, so that when the level drops in the clean track, you still hear the compression effect on the processed track.
the most important thing in this is making sure there is no latency, or you will get comb filtering.
I simply put the same compressor on each track but one was compressing the other was doing nothing i.e threshold 0 and ratio 1.0, this was done to "match" the latency delay of the plugs and got rid of the comb filtering.
But i managed it in Pro tools okay, and it sounds great but it depends on the music.
cadinze

Post by cadinze »

I generally call it parallel compression but I would still deam this a portion of the pre-mastering process. Let's not loose site of what mastering actually is defined as. I definitely think there are times where this is advantageous but I would label this as mix post processing rather than stating it to be a part of the mastering process. It can still work wonders on some tracks but mastering is puting the polish on your final 2 track mix and this is probably in some processing stage preceeding the actual mastering process.

Dione Williams
President
Black Collar Entertainment
EMPIRE STATE BUILDING
350 Fifth Avenue Suite 3304
New York, NY 10118
mflorio

Post by mflorio »

cadinze wrote:I generally call it parallel compression but I would still deam this a portion of the pre-mastering process. Let's not loose site of what mastering actually is defined as. I definitely think there are times where this is advantageous but I would label this as mix post processing rather than stating it to be a part of the mastering process. It can still work wonders on some tracks but mastering is puting the polish on your final 2 track mix and this is probably in some processing stage preceeding the actual mastering process.

Dione Williams
President
Black Collar Entertainment
EMPIRE STATE BUILDING
350 Fifth Avenue Suite 3304
New York, NY 10118
Finally, another New Yorker ! I would generally agree with you, but tell a mastering engineer you've already applied a MB to the entire mix and they'll tell you to take it off and give them the un-compressed mix ! Personally, I'd rather have my mastering engineer handle all post-mix compression, as it's not something I'm comfortable with.

Mike