Checking volume levels for distortion using VUmeter.exe

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
amsterdamned

Checking volume levels for distortion using VUmeter.exe

Post by amsterdamned »

Hello, I found VUmeter through this site but have no clue as to how to use the Oscilloscope view to check for distortion

Taking on the task of ripping vinyl to HD using polderbits software. Ripping to .WAV format, just a little concerned about levels being too high and distortion.

I'm trying to use VUmeter.exe to check for distortion but can't figure out what to look for in the Oscilloscope view.

VUmeter: http://voyager.adsl.dk/knef/vumeter/

#2 is for checking distortion but I don't understand what they mean by this:

This view is good when checking for distortion and stuff. If you see flat parts on the incoming sound on the white curve, usually at the top or bottom, you have distortion.

You can zoom in and out using the cursor up/down keys.

I don't see any white curve in the meter?

Could you please elaborate on how I can use this to see if i'm recording with my levels too high? This is my first time doing this and I feel what I have recorded already might be too high. thanks.
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Checking volume levels for distortion using VUmeter.exe

Post by har-bal »

amsterdamned wrote: I'm trying to use VUmeter.exe to check for distortion but can't figure out what to look for in the Oscilloscope view.

VUmeter: http://voyager.adsl.dk/knef/vumeter/

#2 is for checking distortion but I don't understand what they mean by this:

This view is good when checking for distortion and stuff. If you see flat parts on the incoming sound on the white curve, usually at the top or bottom, you have distortion.

You can zoom in and out using the cursor up/down keys.

I don't see any white curve in the meter?

Could you please elaborate on how I can use this to see if i'm recording with my levels too high? This is my first time doing this and I feel what I have recorded already might be too high. thanks.
Hello

It simply means just as you indicated. Iif you see flat lines on the Oscilloscope you have a waveform that is clipped or clipping. In other words a waveform that is reaching higher zero. It takes a little bit of experiementing with the tool, but it is extremely valuable.

Read the instructions carefully. You can also send an email to Joachim and he wiLl be haPpy to assist you.

His email address jm(a)binarywerks.dk You know what to change to @

Earle
amsterdamned

Post by amsterdamned »

Thanks Earle.

I think I got it, the flat lines are will be indicated usually at the top or bottom right? I think most of my stuff so far was recorded too high. When I lower the levels I see the wave form like in the picture with no flat lines on top or bottom.

THanks mate.
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

A clipping question . . .

If there is clipping in a file, but the file is attenuated to bring all the levels below 0dB, can the residual artifacts of clipping still be present (just at a slightly lower level) -- or is clipping ONLY present at levels in excess of 0dB? In other words, once the file has been clipped and has been attenuated to below 0dB, is all clipping/distortion completely removed?

Tom
amsterdamned

Post by amsterdamned »

good question, looks like I need to attenuate the files I have already recorded it it will remove the clipping.

How can I attenuate the files? it it will kill the distortion.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

tcatzere wrote:A clipping question . . .

If there is clipping in a file, but the file is attenuated to bring all the levels below 0dB, can the residual artifacts of clipping still be present (just at a slightly lower level) -- or is clipping ONLY present at levels in excess of 0dB? In other words, once the file has been clipped and has been attenuated to below 0dB, is all clipping/distortion completely removed?

Tom
Once a file is clipped that is it. You can't remove it for to remove it you need to know what happens in the sound wave in the portion it is clipped and there is no way of knowing that. You can make an educated guess to soften the effect but a guess is all it will be. I believe Adobe Audition has a bundled effect to do this but it doesn't truly remove clipping. It just makes it easier to listen to.

Cheers,

Paavo.
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

HarBal wrote:
Once a file is clipped that is it. You can't remove it for to remove it you need to know what happens in the sound wave in the portion it is clipped and there is no way of knowing that. You can make an educated guess to soften the effect but a guess is all it will be. I believe Adobe Audition has a bundled effect to do this but it doesn't truly remove clipping. It just makes it easier to listen to.

Cheers,

Paavo.

Hi Paavo,

Thanks for clarification. So, if I understand this correctly, clipping/distortion is not just "level" specific. For some reason, I was of the impression that it only occurred as long as the levels exceeded 0dB -- when that threshold was violated. But from what you've said, that's just where the "damage" is done -- and once that has happened, reducing the levels below that threshold to an acceptable level range does not reverse the damage. Is that correct?

I, too, use Adobe Audition and have noticed the clipping "fixer" tool, but never really understood exactly what it did -- although I'm sure it does something that's at least a little helpful in this situation.

Tom
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

That is correct. Once clipping occurs the information loss occurs and you can't recover it. Clipping can occur at any stage. It isn't just the in the DAW itself. If you have tracks corresponding to Mic's or guitar pickups then clipping can occur in the preamps as well, though I guess some people want guitar distortion, I don't think the same can be said for the recording of acoustic instruments in general.

Cheers,

Paavo.