how to turn off the limiter

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
wired

how to turn off the limiter

Post by wired »

if i already have a wavefile at -0.1db, and i don't want it to limit but i see the limiter moving, how do i turn it off

2nd question. where do i adjust the options for 16 or 24 bit export res.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

In this case to stop the limiter set the limiter gain to -6dB.

The bit depth of the file is automatically the same as the source unless you specifically over-ride it. You over-ride it by selecting a different "file type" in the "record as" dialog box.

Regards,

Paavo.
wired

limiter response

Post by wired »

i find if my original file is -.01db, and i change it to -6db at the limiter, my result is too low . If for example i only have 1or2 bars in the limiter area, does that cause any significant harm to my wavefile?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

My personal view is that it is unlikely to make any audible difference but you asked for no limiting and that is the "only" way to to it short of clipping the track which will be noticeable. If a track is that hot and you want to EQ it you have to re-limit it (or clip it) to maintain the volume.

The idea is that after processing to -6dB you bring it up again by 6dB using the limiter of your choice. I thought that is what you were asking. If you don't want to re-limit it the only other option is using "normalisation" (ie. bringing the level up by an amount that is just short of clipping on the highest peak). The choice is yours.

Paavo.
wired

limiter

Post by wired »

thankx, i find that 1-3bars on the limiter don't "hurt" the mix, so i won't panic, since the last update corrected some of the old limiter probs, it should sound fine
wired

limiter fine with couple bars

Post by wired »

limiter fine with couple bars
electro

Post by electro »

Why not just add an option or checkbok to disengage limiter?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I've been through this many times and am getting a little tired of it all.

The limiter is protecting the signal from clipping. If you have a limiter bypass switch all you'll end up doing is "CLIPPING" your track. If you want clipping fine, we can add a button called clipping, but if the purpose to all of this was to make sure you get "NO CLIPPING" the ONLY way to ensure this is to turn down the gain which turns off the limiter so why have an extra button that serves little purpose.

The limiter has an outceiling of -0.1dB and is hard knee so if your track level goes no higher than -0.1dB post EQ then the limiter will not do "ANY" limiting! If you post process a limited track with EQ it will need further limiting to bring it up to the same level as pre-EQ (assuming no clipping) so you have to limit it somewhere. Either Har-Bal or your favourite limiter but it will still need limiting, hence the suggestion of -6dB gain setting to guarantee the Har-Bal limiter is not doing anything and then making up the difference externally.

Cheers,

Paavo.
Jay

Post by Jay »

HarBal wrote:I've been through this many times and am getting a little tired of it all.
Welcome to the wonderful world of tech support. :wink: Paavo, maybe a sticky entitled something like "Why you can't turn off the limiter" would help minimize these kind of questions.

Jay