In the manual...

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Ged the undead

In the manual...

Post by Ged the undead »

Hi Pav, just noticed when browsing through the help manual,
you mention that after some moderate compression a track will then be equalised to corrrect the freq balance that compression can somtimes disturb.
But in most of the tutorials its recommended that we equalise first, then compress if need be.
So which is it? i've had great results both ways but it really depends on what i need to do to the track,
E.G. although on harbal the track may look balanced, it may need some de-essing etc, which will then disturb the high mids to 10khz area, so i need to re import to harbal to fix any discrepincies.

Just a query,
Ged.
Phi Lion

Post by Phi Lion »

Hey ww good question. :mrgreen:
Ged the undead

Post by Ged the undead »

...Anyone????
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

It depends on how bad the track is to start off with. If you have to make big changes to get it into line then you probably what to EQ it before compressing but if it is close to where it should the difference between either approach is probably not going to be very significant. I'm sure earl has some views on this also.

Paavo.
Ged the undead

Post by Ged the undead »

HarBal wrote:It depends on how bad the track is to start off with. If you have to make big changes to get it into line then you probably what to EQ it before compressing but if it is close to where it should the difference between either approach is probably not going to be very significant. I'm sure earl has some views on this also.

Paavo.
Cheers Paavo, kind of what i was doing anyway, just needed some confirmation mate.