from 1/6th to 1/8th or even 1/10th???

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Ged the undead

from 1/6th to 1/8th or even 1/10th???

Post by Ged the undead »

Would it be possible in future updats of Harbal to increase the resolution of the eq filter and spectrum???
I imagine that this would be a hard task, but have noticed that HARBAL sometimes misses certain peaks/troughs due to its resolution (1/6th i think?)
I feel an increased resolution would drastically improve the end result, as my ear anyway can still hear little peaks in the hi mids and such which need smoothed out.
When you view well mastred tracks in VOXENGO span, there are hardly ANY peaks at all.
cheers,
Ged.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Yep, at some stage I will most liekly increase the analysis resolution to 1/12th octave instead of 1/6th. Not likely to increase the filter resolution much higher than it is though (for 44kHz sampling) as I don't believe there is much to be gained from that. Certainly my listening tests didn't really show much benefit from much higher resolutions.

Cheers,

Paavo.
Ged the undead

Post by Ged the undead »

[quote="HarBal"]Yep, at some stage I will most liekly increase the analysis resolution to 1/12th octave instead of 1/6th. Not likely to increase the filter resolution much higher than it is though (for 44kHz sampling) as I don't believe there is much to be gained from that. Certainly my listening tests didn't really show much benefit from much higher resolutions.

Cheers,

Paavo.[/quote

Hey Paavo, thnaks for the reply.
Hope you enjoyed your weekend break?
About the higher filter resolution, personally, i think it would benefit HARBAL as the great EQ it already is.
You do get some tracks here and there than need more precise control over.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Ged,

Thanks, had a good break for Easter.

I don't doubt that higher resolution has it's uses for a small number of recordings. I just don't think it is as large as you might think. The other problem with higher resolution is knowing where to apply it. That is obtainable with higher resolution in the spectrum display but the more detail you show the more easily one is confused by the detail (seeing the wood for the trees etc). That is why we use spectrum smoothing to start off with.

But if I were to upgrade to 1/12th octave detail then I could allow switching of the spectrum display to a range of different resolutions, say 1/6th, 1/3rd or even 1 octave band resolution so you can have the best of both worlds.

That sounds like a plan to me. Thanks,

Paavo.
Ged the undead

Post by Ged the undead »

HarBal wrote:Hi Ged,

Thanks, had a good break for Easter.

I don't doubt that higher resolution has it's uses for a small number of recordings. I just don't think it is as large as you might think. The other problem with higher resolution is knowing where to apply it. That is obtainable with higher resolution in the spectrum display but the more detail you show the more easily one is confused by the detail (seeing the wood for the trees etc). That is why we use spectrum smoothing to start off with.

But if I were to upgrade to 1/12th octave detail then I could allow switching of the spectrum display to a range of different resolutions, say 1/6th, 1/3rd or even 1 octave band resolution so you can have the best of both worlds.

That sounds like a plan to me. Thanks,

Paavo.
Good stuff mate,
cheers,
Ged.