Grettings all

Please post your Mixing Question here for Pro Tools, Logic Audio and GigaStudio. Zumbido is our resident expert.

triniti

Grettings all

Post by triniti »

Hello My name is Triniti Post any Qs pertaining to Mixing and I will do my best to lead u in the right Direction
Har/Bal

Thanks for joining us

Post by Har/Bal »

Triniti

I am sure there are a number of users out there that will have questions for you regarding mixing. How was the Nuendo seminar you gave the other day for Steinberg?

Earle
Triniti

NARAS

Post by Triniti »

The event was accualy The Grammy Surround Music Allience Premiere
and many producers from the Producers and Engineers Wing Of Naras was there
Ken Jordan of Crystal method
Tony Brown
Ed cherney
Eric Schilling
Elliot Scheiner
Bob Ludwig
Mic Jones of Foreigner
Chuck Ainaly
George Massenburg
Bt
They spoke of how surround sound had and will revolutionalize the way we record and mix and enjoy music

there was many mixes that I had got a chance to hear that was Amazing and the best part is that many of them are Nuendo users
I had Spoke with Ellliot Scheiner and asked him of the console the DM2000
he said that was a great board... from I heard he gets great results with this console I had asked him if he had seen the new SSL AWS
he said he has not really looked in to that I said thats a great console at least for my needs as I am in need of a daw controller

Im doing a Pro Tools Vs Nuendo In Nashville
where as I will demoinstrate the pros and cons of each platform and the benifits of each daw with a real world hands on Aproch.
I plan to have a Pro Tools TDM rig with The fixings and A Nuendo Rig with All the fixing and also .. The Pro tools of course will have all the tdm Plugs However with nuendo I wil not have any DSP BASED CARDS
This wil show how native Processing stands up to DSP cards
This wil be an Exciting Event.
However from a personal not being a user of both I do prefer Nuendo over Pro Tools .
Im sure I will get many whys on this one
Stevie54

Post by Stevie54 »

So why ?
No just kidding ;-)
I've been a PT user for about 10years before switching to Nuendo.Mostly doing jingle & commercial stuff for radio/TV.
I'm must say being 'portable' is the most important issue for me .
Drop your whole session on a USB drive, take it with you to do some editing on a 'simple' home studio, to bring it back to the studio for final mixing is the way I work now..and it's so easy.(just don't forget the little blue plastic thing:)
I work in 4 different studio's who are all Nuendo based (all loaded with THE plugs), so switching to another studio/PC to do the vocalcomp for instance is a breeze.
Second most important edit feature I love are the volume handles on the regions.Try this in PT....
24tracks of vocals where the second line of the first 12tracks needs a little more volume.......select them and boost them with one mouse move.
In PT that would take you a little longer, I guess.Wouldn't be much of a problem if there was only one song/jingle to mix.....but take 20 songs/ jingles, all with more than 24 voxtracks and you get the idea.
The only thing I really miss is the internal routing.....but who knows, maybe in our next life ;-)

Stevie
Triniti

I AGREE

Post by Triniti »

Yes Nuendo has its advantages over many applications
and the volume node is just one of them.
Try also this command:
hold down ctrl and Alt and click on a waveform and now u scroll through the wav.
The biggest thing with nuendo for me is track count and the way track coun is dealt with.
With My Pro tools Rig If I have alot of tracks ,that affects my plug in amount
and that should not ever be.
I like Pro tools But I love Nuendo
Triniti

internal routing

Post by Triniti »

With Pro tools I know that there is a location in the area where u load plugins ,,how this works is that there is a place for outputs

now this dose not work the same way in nuendo and yes pro tools has the best aproach on this one.
however what u can do is use a send just like on a real console and instead of choosing a plugin choose an output and route the output to the in of an fx proccesor and then take this back to one of your stereo inputs
and then Arm of of your tracks and name this track FX RETURN and u should be able to use this on any track
Stevie54

internal routing

Post by Stevie54 »

Hey thx for the tip,
But.... Or I didn't do it right, or I didn't understand ;-)
I made a second physical output in N2 (SPDIF out L+R), route that optical to my DAT and put it back in to Nuendo.This is the only way I can perform somekind of routing......by using a send of a track to that second physical output and record it back in N2.
The only drawback is the latency! It seems off by a few samples?
Checked it with a phase reverse, they don't zero out.
BTW I'm using a RME9632 in an AMD 2X 2Gig with 1G Ram.

Is there another way ?
Stevie
Triniti

Re: internal routing

Post by Triniti »

Stevie54 wrote:Hey thx for the tip,
But.... Or I didn't do it right, or I didn't understand ;-)
I made a second physical output in N2 (SPDIF out L+R), route that optical to my DAT and put it back in to Nuendo.This is the only way I can perform somekind of routing......by using a send of a track to that second physical output and record it back in N2.
The only drawback is the latency! It seems off by a few samples?
Checked it with a phase reverse, they don't zero out.
BTW I'm using a RME9632 in an AMD 2X 2Gig with 1G Ram.

Is there another way ?
Stevie
no i DID NOT SAY ANYTHING OF USING DIGITAL OUTS iLL TELL YOU WHAT u CAN CALL ME AND i CAN WALK YOU THROUGH THIS
OR i CAN CALL YOU 404 447 7192
Stevie

more internal routing

Post by Stevie »

route the output to the in of an fx proccesor
I do understand the 'send' part ,as I did use that a few times to make an alternative mix of the same track.....but in your explanation it stops at the FX proccesor....the FX channel/track doesn't have an input selector in N2.
So how are you going from there ?
I'd really would like to know....is it a secret code ? ;-)

BTW where are you from ? In order for me to call you, I need to know your country code, no?
I'm not a fan of sharing my celphone number on a public board ,so maybe a PM on the adress below.

Regards,
Stevie

stevie.timmermans@pandora.be
Triniti

Triniti

Post by Triniti »

Use an a new track and use its input .
If u have a card wth many inputs say like 24 ins or even 8 ins
u can just creat a new track
and lable this one REVERB RET or AUX RET
U dont use a Fx track thats for internal fx .

Yea I can understand with the phone number deal
well Im in the usa