RMS

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
nogimmikz

RMS

Post by nogimmikz »

Well we all know that to optaine a average of -10 db or what not you need to make sure u do the right math....and then input that number into the Limiter your using,

But my questions is this...how can i get a MAXIMUM RMS LEVEL of about -3db....which is what i have seen most commercial hip hop CDS have...with a average rms level of -10 .....anyone help here?
jess

Post by jess »

Mind my lack of knowlege of hip hop music...especially the RMS level.

HarBal folks may disagree with me here, as they do have a built in limiter within their app...but from my experience and also from other forums, Voxengo Elephant is a good limiter for max loudness music like dance, pop and hip hop.
Warm regards,

- Jess

Win XP SP2
2GB RAM
Novation Speedio
Cubase SX 3.1.1
FXPansion BFD 1.5.X
Lotsa of other VSTi
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Simply set whatever limiter you are using to have its output level at -3.

You will also have to ajuts the limiters threshold of course - if you are not peaking at -3db you will need to turn it down until you are.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

By all means, use whatever limiter you feel works best for you. We have no problem with that at all but I think it would be much better if people stopped chasing figures! What it sounds like is what is critical. If you can't get the sound you want by slamming it then don't. To borrow a phrase from Stavs book (ie. Mixing with your mind) you should be aiming for "maximum illusion, minimum voltage"!

Cheers,

Paavo.