When is enough......enough?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
lucky

When is enough......enough?

Post by lucky »

I downloaded the free software. Then selected the worst sounding Recording we've done{Mix-wise}. There were Peaks & Valleys everywhere.

I've done several Har-Bal tweaking variations, which by the way all sound better than the original. It seemed like I adjusted just about everything from beginning to end. How do you know when enough is enough without over doing it? I don't want to over do it & hurt the Master. I just want the best Master possible.

I know this is Subjective but is there a Rule?

Thanks,

Lucky
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Is this version 2.0 or version 2.2?

It is ultimately up to you but for version 2.2 going on what I did in the tutorial I might argue that if you need more than 10 operations your overdoing it. Then again, generalisations like this don't mean much because the nature of the change is important. Some changes are potentially more damaging than others.

Regards,

Paavo.
lucky

Post by lucky »

As you can tell I'm a newbie at the Engineering aspect of Recording. I'm a Musician/Singer/Songwriter first.

I'm trying your free download first to see if I can grasp the use of it.

I probably did more than 10 adjustments on the above Song though. Too many!

Do I just adjust the extreme peaks & valleys? Should I be looking at EQ levels for anything? Just adjusting extreme peaks & valleys seems a little simplistic. That's OK though!

Thanks,

Lucky
Phi Lion

Re: When is enough......enough?

Post by Phi Lion »

lucky wrote:I downloaded the free software. Then selected the worst sounding Recording we've done{Mix-wise}. There were Peaks & Valleys everywhere.

I've done several Har-Bal tweaking variations, which by the way all sound better than the original. It seemed like I adjusted just about everything from beginning to end. How do you know when enough is enough without over doing it? I don't want to over do it & hurt the Master. I just want the best Master possible.

I know this is Subjective but is there a Rule?

Thanks,

Lucky

This is something ive been meaning to ask for a while.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Lucky,

Sounds like you're using version 2.0. Why not contact support (support@har-bal.com) and ask for the version 2.2 pre-release. Then install it and run through the new tutorial. I think you'll find that after you do so most of your questions will be answered by the virtue that the new intuitQ algorithm does a hell of a lot for you into getting into the right ballpark. Version 2.0 just doesn't compare and as a result you have to do alot more work. For 2.2 most of it is done for you.

Cheers,

Paavo.