The Match Loudness Cursor

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Mister

The Match Loudness Cursor

Post by Mister »

Hi Earle, Paavo

First off, congrats for the amazing update! The clarity the newly coded IntuitQ provides a mix while maintinaing its original intent is amazing. Just what the producer ordered!!

Next, I was wondering if Earle could give me a little more direction as to selecting the best portions of a spectrum to use when using the match loudness cursor. I understand ultimately it depends on the individual track (and your ears, of course), but some starting points perhaps might clarify it a bit more for me.

In the tutorial you mention the loudest portion of the spectrum (ie matching Track 1 to 9). That had a relatively flat slope as you noted. But what if the spectrum is sloping or constantly curving? What would generally be the best place to begin? (This assumes that all the necessary EQ'ing has been done).

Thanks and hats off to you both again for the absolutely amazing Har-Bal!!

Karl
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

That depends entirely on your reference. If you have a track spectrum (and presumably a reference as well) whose spectrum is constantly curving look at how the track overlays the reference. You'll probably find a range for which it overlays well and a range (usually at either extreme of the spectrum where it tapers off quicker) that doesn't. Use the range that overlays well. If nothing overlays well then the reference is inappropriate for the track.

Regards,

Paavo.