Understanding how HarBal spectrum carving works

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
jess

Understanding how HarBal spectrum carving works

Post by jess »

Hi guys,

Just want to quickily understand how the spectrum carving works.

If I have say a 3 minute mix that has a good spectrum from Har-Bal point view and then I arbitrarily added a screaming vocals that lasted about maybe 2 seconds. The vocals peaks at 2-3KHz way off. Now, from the Har-Bal analysis point of view...would there be a sudden peak at 2-3KHz now?

The answer seems to be yes? If so, iIf I carve away (say I'm not even interested in even making the scream much audible) just the sudden peak will it destroy the rest of the proper mix?

This is rather hypothetical, but it helps me understand the mechanics and how I should or shouldn't carve certain aspect of the spectrum.
Warm regards,

- Jess

Win XP SP2
2GB RAM
Novation Speedio
Cubase SX 3.1.1
FXPansion BFD 1.5.X
Lotsa of other VSTi
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

If it's only 2 seconds out of three minutes then the peaking will only really show up in the peak spectrum trace. The average trace will not be affected by it much at all.

If you really have a big issue with just a single short section as in your example then your best approach is to split the track into sections and process each individually, otherwise you'll be penalising most of the track for the sake of a bad scream at the end.

This sort of track splitting is planned for the next major release of Har-Bal but that won't happen for quite a while.

Cheers,

Paavo.