Is there a need Har-Bal & Software Wavelab.............

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
lucky

Is there a need Har-Bal & Software Wavelab.............

Post by lucky »

Maybe I can better state my question.

How does Har-Bal compare to Wavelab, UAD-1, Sonic Solutions, Izotope Ozone 3 Mastering Software & other Mastering Software?

Does Har-Bal do the same things they do? Is there any reason why I would need any of them in addition to Har-Bal in the mastering process?

Thanks,

Lucky
Last edited by lucky on Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I'm using Har-Bal & like it. I'm not criticizing, I'm just wondering if any of these other Softwares are necessary. I'm wondering what they might do that Har-Bal doesn't or vice-versa.

Thanks,

Lucky
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Lucky,

They're all just tools (including HarBal) and which tool should be used when is the decision of the person using them. I would argue that no tool should be used indescriminantly and if you haven't got a reason for doing something then you shouldn't be. Every track is unique and each has it's own requirements. You really need to experiment for yourself to find out and if it sounds perfect to you then why process any further. You have to learn to trust your own judgement.

Regards,

Paavo.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Maybe I can better state my question.

Thanks,

Lucky
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

No, I don't think you can and don't take that as a criticism.

Fundamentally, at a scientifically measured level there is little difference between the best and mediocre implementations of like signal processing. There are differences certainly, but how significant those differences are is an article of belief more than a science. So and so swears by product A over B and his counterpart something different. Neither can be regarded right or wrong as it all boils down to the ears of the beholder.

That is why you are not likely to draw a definative answer on this from me. I could certainly voice my opinion though that is all it would be and it is fundamentally what is important to you that counts. That is something you have to come to terms with and not something to be imposed upon you.

Any mature technology will have a rather narrow range in overall performance between the best and the worst and a lot of what you are asking about is fundamentally pretty mature technology. It is like debating the relative merits of one brand of motor vehicle over another. Much seems to revolve around the status attributed to a particular brand rather than actual performance measures. I'm not a great believer in Voodoo Hi-Fi. Much of what I have read in articles promoting various pieces of gear falls into the "scientifically unjustifiable" or just plain wrong catagory. It is really quite laugable reading some claims made.

The process you use is fundamentally personal. What I would choose to use would no doubt be different to your choices and Earle and anybody else for that matter and each approach not of necessity right or wrong. In any case, I have no experience with any of those products giving yet another reason for not voicing an opinion.

I'm assuming in asking that you have access to at least some of those devices, in which case maybe you should conduct some experiments for yourself and discover what you believe to be the case. In my view, that is what you should be doing.

Regards,

Paavo.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Unfortunately I don't have the budget to accumulate Software like Wavelab, Pro Tools etc.

If I can achieve results competitive to them without having to spend that kind of money it would be great.

In answer to your question, No, I don't have the ability to make those comparisons.

I have posted some Songs at www.soundclick.com/thelarsonbrothersband. Click Music. Check out "The Larson Brothers Band" song "There's Something About You" . It has been Har-Balized! Feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Lucky
Gordon Gidluck

Post by Gordon Gidluck »

Hey Lucky,
Good job on that. Overall, the track is very easy to listen to. Nicely balanced. The low end is nice a full but yet not masking any other frequencies as far as I can tell.

I did compare it to a few other of your tracks, and in those I hear more of a variety of eq. So, can I assume that Har-Bal is really helping? --- I think so.

One observation, and I hope you don't take this as a criticism. I did hear a bit where the vocal seems to break up in just a few spots. I don't know if this has to do with the mp3 conversion or pushing the levels.

You've got some great talent and you're doing a good job with the tools that you have.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Gordon Gidluck wrote:Hey Lucky,
Good job on that. Overall, the track is very easy to listen to. Nicely balanced. The low end is nice a full but yet not masking any other frequencies as far as I can tell.

I did compare it to a few other of your tracks, and in those I hear more of a variety of eq. So, can I assume that Har-Bal is really helping? --- I think so.

One observation, and I hope you don't take this as a criticism. I did hear a bit where the vocal seems to break up in just a few spots. I don't know if this has to do with the mp3 conversion or pushing the levels.

You've got some great talent and you're doing a good job with the tools that you have.
Still learning. I appreciate your comments & am open to constructive analysis.

Thank you,

Lucky