Zoom all in 2.2

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Jay

Zoom all in 2.2

Post by Jay »

Hi guys,

I recently got vs. 2.2, and it appears that Zoom All doesn't work like it did in previous versions. In previous versions, it zoomed out so that I could see every bit of the graph lines, but in 2.2, there're often portions of the lines that are still below the bottom of the graph and hence not visible.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Jay
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Jay,

No, it isn't a bug but rather a feature. The problem with the zoom all in the previous incarnation is that it would scale the dynamic range to fit everything on screen but doing so gave a mis-leading impression of the smoothness of the plot and the relevence of various portions. Even worse is the case of someone up sampling to a higher sample rate and then loading into Har-Bal as the dynamic range will expand to include the noise floor of the out of band portion.

In the current implementation I've deliberately limited the displayed dynamic range to 60dB so anything out of this range will go out of view. I think you can pretty safely say that if it is out of view you're unlikely to hear it and you shouldn'y be concerned about it. You can always use the pan tool to move it into view if you need to.

Cheers,

Paavo.
Jay

Post by Jay »

HarBal wrote:You can always use the pan tool to move it into view if you need to.
Ah, okay. That's what I was missing. I kept trying different zoom techniques to no avail. Thanks, Paavo.