Equalizer options setup question

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
lestra

Equalizer options setup question

Post by lestra »

If I check linear phase in Filter topology,Equalizer options,das it mean that Har-bal would work like Linear phase Equalizer?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Yes it does. Basically, Har-Bal can realise impulse responses in one of two ways, linear phase or minimum phase. The default is minimum phase as natural systems are generally mimum phase (or at least close to it) whereas linear phase systems do not occur in nature (except for trivial cases). They sound subtley different.

There are some studies that suggest minimum phase is superior to linear phase because we can hear the pre-echo in linear phase filter realisations. I personally prefer the sound of mimimum phase over linear phase.

Regards,

Paavo.
lestra

Post by lestra »

Thanks Paavo,

I have one more question.When using stereo expander in mastering session something is going wrong with bass.I found that is better for me to split signal in two bands. Higher band expand but lower not or maybe put it in mono.Am I wrong and what is the best way?
Regards,

Lestra
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

That sounds perfectly logical to me. If your got panned bass then the air effect may change the bass sound a bit. You can either process it in the way you suggest or make your bass mono below about 200Hz. That is usually done for tracks destined for vinyl pressings as stereo bass can cause the pickup to jump out of the track.

Cheers,

Paavo.
lestra

Post by lestra »

Thank You Paavo.
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

lestra wrote:Thanks Paavo,

I have one more question.When using stereo expander in mastering session something is going wrong with bass.I found that is better for me to split signal in two bands. Higher band expand but lower not or maybe put it in mono.Am I wrong and what is the best way?
Regards,

Lestra
Lestra

Below is a link to a tool you can use to insure your bass region is mono. This is extremely useful. If your bass region is stereo you will never get it to sound punchy

http://www.otiumfx.com/basslane.php

Cheers

Earle
lestra

Post by lestra »

Thanks Earle,

I have been away for long time,now I see link you give to me.Sorry I am late with thanks.Anyway thank you wery much,this tool is nice.