Thank!!

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
Phatrax

Thank!!

Post by Phatrax »

It would sure make my work a whoole lot easier. I know there are a lot of serious engineers out there that have great eq'ing skills. So let me get this straight. We will be able to apply the filter directly to our track?

Thanks
mflorio

??

Post by mflorio »

I just don't understand how this is at all useful, unless we're all eq'ing the same source file ??? A filter is only meaningful in relation to the input source. Maybe my song needs a particluar cut/boost of xDB at yQ. That doesn't mean that yours does too. Applying my filter to your song would seriously screw it up.

Mike
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

I don't understand how it wouldn't be useful to many, providing, if not an exact filter, a good guideline to start with for various ganre's, styles, instruments, etc.

"SRV's guitar"
"John Bonhams Kick"

oh...beautiful.
Har/Bal

Exactly

Post by Har/Bal »

Dan

You are correct. It would at least place those users who do have difficuly eq'ing, in the ballpark. Then if they need to perform slight tweaking it would be easier. I have spoken with some users who are not really sure where to start when it comes to eq'ing their track. At least if the expertise is shared by the Har-Bal users out there who have actually mastered the program it would prove to be most beneficial to the masses.
It would be a great start to those out there who need a little assistance.

Earle
Har/Bal

Solution

Post by Har/Bal »

Just finished speaking with my partner, Paavo

He made an excellent suggestion.

Make available filters designed for those problem recordings that users can try out.

I think that is the ticket. What do you think folks?

Earle
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

What do you mean exactly by "those problem recording"...when I look back on my "problem recordings" I am hired to master I sorta chuckle and think about the recordings that not even Har-Bal could save :shock: ...if you know what I mean... :wink: curious what, more specifically, you mean?
Har/Bal

Hmmm!!

Post by Har/Bal »

Here is how this could possibly work for others.

1. New Har-Bal user has an issue trying to correctly eq their track.

2. They convert their song to an mp3 and provide a link to it.

3. Seasoned Har-Bal users download the mp3 file and create a filter.

4. The filter is named "their song.mfl" and sent to the webmaster for posting.

5. New Har-Bal user can download one of many filters and apply it to their song.

Naming convention for the filter can be "theirsong1.mfl, theirsong2.mfl, etc

What do you think

Earle
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

ahhhhh, I see what you mean, kind of an outsourcing facilitator.

hmmmm...that'd be some generous Har-Bal users to do that work...

I was thinking more of a library of filters to fix specific issues 50/60 cycle hum, tape noise and various other sounds like that which reside in pretty predictable frequency bands...
Har/Bal

Yes

Post by Har/Bal »

Those filters (library) will also be placed on there and made available to download..

Earle
bax3

I like the idea

Post by bax3 »

Now all I have to do is figure how to set up a link to a sound file. I guess I need to create a web page and put the file there?
Bax
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

Then we need people who will volunteer their time to make filter files for others...
Har/Bal

This will be great

Post by Har/Bal »

I think this would actually help quite a number of folks to understand the concept of eq'ing tremendously. That part of the mastering process has always been a thorn in the side of many people.

Earle
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

I would totally agree with that.
mflorio

I disagree

Post by mflorio »

dbmasters wrote:I don't understand how it wouldn't be useful to many, providing, if not an exact filter, a good guideline to start with for various ganre's, styles, instruments, etc.

"SRV's guitar"
"John Bonhams Kick"

oh...beautiful.
Sounds like you're really talking about reference files. A reference file for Bonham's kick (and an instrument reference library in general) that I can follow makes a lot of sense. How could you possibly design a *filter* for a kick drum without first knowing what frequencies need to be adjusted ???
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

yeah, fair point, just a misunderstanding...