IMPORTANT: HarBal Virus Issue

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
HarBal
Site Admin

IMPORTANT: HarBal Virus Issue

Post by HarBal »

If any of you have the latest round of McAfee virus signatures installed you will have realized that McAfee regards HarBal as a virus. Actually it regards the copy protection software we use, Armadillo, as a virus and hence HarBal too. I notified Silicon Realms (Authors of Armadillo) of this issue saying:

"I just found a problem with the latest McAfee virus signatures. If I download your current version and install it McAfee identifies it as
a w32/Gaobot.worm.gen.e virus and immediately deletes it from my system."

Their response was:

"We are aware of the problem and can assure you that there are no viruses in Armadillo or the Armadillo engine that is attached to your protected programs.

We will be contacting McAfee ourselves to resolve this problem.

Until the problem is resolved, the only thing we can suggest is to configure McAfee Anti-Virus to exclude Armadillo from being scanned and to exclude your protected programs as well."

I sincerely appologise if this issue causes grief to any of you. Hopefully McAfee will have new signitures that don't incorrectly identify HarBal as a virus.

Regards,

Paavo.[/img]
sdw

Post by sdw »

Paavo,
I don't believe you can tell McAfee not to scan a specific program or file. Please update ASAP as I cannot re-install Har-Bal in the meantime. Thanks, Steve
Paavo

Post by Paavo »

sdw wrote:Paavo,
I don't believe you can tell McAfee not to scan a specific program or file. Please update ASAP as I cannot re-install Har-Bal in the meantime. Thanks, Steve
Steve,

Unfortunately the problem is not at our end. McAfee needs to update its DAT files so that it does not incorrectly brand Aramdillo and hence HarBal a virus. Hopefully they will provide a new update soon.

Regards,

Paavo.
kinetic

Post by kinetic »

See the thread in the Technical forum - McAfee have updated their definitions and HarBal (or it's copy protection regime) is no longer treated as if it is a virus.

I have reinstalled HarBal 1.5 this afternoon and all is well