Best place for dither

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
MisterNegative

Best place for dither

Post by MisterNegative »

After mixing in Pro Tools, I create a 24 bit stereo file that I export to HarBal. After making adjustments, I use Wavelab for final processing. My question is: Where should I add dither? On the final stage, obviously, but what about on the bounce from Pro Tools? I also have been saving the finalized versions as 24 bit files which Wavelab converts to 16 bit as a CD is being burned. Would it be better to finalize to 16 bit before the burn? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Only dither on your final stage in Wavelab. Dithering elsewhere is not required and will only add noise to the final result.

I think you would be better off saving the finalised versions (assuming you mean with dither in place) as 16 bit pcm. Keeping them in 24 bit and then burning to CD may invoke another (hidden) dither to convert from 24 to 16 which isn't what you want. To know this with any certainty I would have to consult the manuals to Wavelab and I don't own it so can't. I suggest you do the same to make sure.

Regards,

Paavo.
MisterNegative

Best place for dither

Post by MisterNegative »

Okay, so the final step is all that's necessary. Wavelab does allow you turn the dither on or off, so there is no chance of a hidden dither step, but I think I'm going to start storing the finished files as 16 bit, so that I can listen to the result without having to burn a CD. Thanks