About RMS...

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
DaveEwer

About RMS...

Post by DaveEwer »

I don't have the particular plugins mentioned in the mastering tutorial. And I don't seem to have a plugin that tells me RMS level of a track. I'm wondering if the Average values displayed in Har-Bal (top right corner of the display) will suffice for determining what value to put into the limiter.

Also, is the boost at the limiter stage done after compression, etc. or before (it is mentioned first in the mastering tutorial)?

Thanks.
Dave Ewer
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: About RMS...

Post by har-bal »

DaveEwer wrote:I don't have the particular plugins mentioned in the mastering tutorial. And I don't seem to have a plugin that tells me RMS level of a track. I'm wondering if the Average values displayed in Har-Bal (top right corner of the display) will suffice for determining what value to put into the limiter.

Also, is the boost at the limiter stage done after compression, etc. or before (it is mentioned first in the mastering tutorial)?

Thanks.
Dave Ewer
Okay Dave

Good news. The link below will allow you to download a free plugin that gives you a constant readout of your RMS values. You can actually use it as a guide. Make sure it is last in your chain.

http://download.yousendit.com/18A2331418F4A351

Har-Bal is a spectrum analyzer/equalizer that allows you to get the song sounding right before you add all the other goodies IE: compression, limiting or anything else.

Here is a problem I see with most folks when they are mastering.

They have the equalizer in their chain first followed by an compressor and then a limiter.
How on earth can they really determine the problem areas when the compressor is constantly kicking in while they are equalizing the track. This is one of the reasons we decided not to make Har-Bal a plugin.

When you open your track inside of Har-Bal the idea is to get it sounding as good as possible before any other processing is done. This kind of forces you to get it right. When you have it sounding great inside of Har-Bal you will ultimately end up with a great sounding master.

As far as volume is concerned, sure Har-Bal has a built in limiter but it wasn't designed to smash the track. It was designed to simply prevent digital overs.

If you increase the volume in Har-Bal make sure the meter has no more than one red light showing and you will always be fine.

The secret to making a track loud is not in the limiter. It is in the compressor. The compressor gives the track the heavy/full sound

Cheers

Earle
DaveEwer

Post by DaveEwer »

Thanks very much Earle. BTW about the "ad" track the other day, I remixed it since you mentioned it had been mixed too loud, and there is a lot more clarity in the track now. Thanks for your help.

Dave