which curve

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
overflow

which curve

Post by overflow »

Hello,

First I would like to thank for such good product (bought yesterday). I have question regarding curves - yellow and green. Let's asuume, that I have "standart" curves with peaks and holes. Which curve I should harbalize now? Peak or RMS? Should I think this way - peaks yellow and holes green?

thank you,
overflow.
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: which curve

Post by har-bal »

overflow wrote:Hello,

First I would like to thank for such good product (bought yesterday). I have question regarding curves - yellow and green. Let's asuume, that I have "standart" curves with peaks and holes. Which curve I should harbalize now? Peak or RMS? Should I think this way - peaks yellow and holes green?

thank you,
overflow.
Overflow

You are quite right. Yellow indicates peaks and green indicates holes in your spectrum.

Use the process below.

Try this process to establish a workflow.

1. Load a file into Har-Bal and just sit back and look at it for a few seconds.
2. Press the red button on the bottom right of screen (cos you don't need the red line) This is for future releases
3. Now there are two lines.
a) Yellow (peak) in top shows the peaks
b) Green (average) on the bottom shows the holes.
4. Start with the top line...are there any peaks more than 3 db's up to the 3khz region? If so, bring them down.
Hint: Hold the left mouse button down while pressing the tab button to switch between the lines
5. Look at the green line and determine if there are any large dips/holes in the spectrum. If so, pull them up. Notice how you can determine the "Q" width moving the mouse from side to side.

Hint: Make sure your "eq" button is depressed while making changes so you can hear them.

The whole idea is to sculpt your spectrum so that you have no major peaks or holes. This will enable your mix to sound great on all systems because the spectral content of your song is balanced.

Hint: If you hold down the "shift"key you can disable the "Q" while sculpting the spectrum.

When you are satisfied press the red record button and save the new file. It will be appended with an eq extension.
Old song name "yoursong.wav" becomes
"yoursong_eq.wav".

You can go to the link below for keyboard shortcuts.
http://www.har-bal.com/files/tutorial.pdf

If you decide to use a reference file, use your green line as your guide when placing your track over the dark green reference line and just place your track loosely in the general ballpark.

Make sure your "EQ" button is depressed on your toolbar!

You are just correcting the spectral shape of your song.

If you decide to use the "loudness matching" option follow the steps below.

Use the "match loudness" feature in Har-Bal as a reference for your limiter.
When you use this feature just write down the gain number.

Pull the fader back to 0.0, record the newly EQ'd file and open the limiter.
Set the outceiling at -0.1 and the threshold at the number indicated by har-bal. If there was an increase in Har-Bal of 4.3,
Set the threshold for -4.3.

It works every time and the volume level is consistent throughout the entire album.

This is an amazing feature in Har-Bal. I know of no other tool that does this.

Make sure you use a reference CD that matches this genre of music in terms of loudness.

Hope this helps. Once you get the hang of it you won't want to put it down.

Earle